Sandostatin LAR User Reviews

Sandostatin LAR - User Reviews

Sandostatin LAR User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Sandostatin LAR sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: verannie, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 25

I am being treated for multi focal-carcinoid in the lining of my stomach. I have been taking Sandostatin lar for about 7{seven} years. My gastrin level is way down and staying there. I probably wouldn't be here today without it. My starting gastrin level was 3,600, now it is in the 400 range and holding. I worry sometimes about the long-term effect of taking this drug. I don't think anyone really knows for sure.

Comment from: SueK, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 04

I get 30 mg. IM injection every 4 weeks. Has not slowed down growth of carcinoid tumors on liver after 2 yrs. and had to have SIRT procedures to eradicate tumors from liver. Oncologist said I should still continue to take injections.

Comment from: santaana27, on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: December 22

i took this drug a part of combination with other drugs in clinical trials. For those that use this as a tumor inhibitor, as noted in the documents and Sando web site, it is NOT A TUMOR INHIBITIOR, and not indicated as such by the FDA. (they recently pleaded guilty for incorrect indication with the FDA with Sando being one of the drugs! Carcinoid diesase is very variable cancer and may grow for a while, then stop, on it own! That is why ones needs to learn their index rate Ki Index to tell how aggressive their disease is growing.,... slow growing typical may give one 10 to 20 years of OS. This drug works well for syndrome,very well, but it has not demonstrated anti-tumor activity, and comes at a tremendous cost per injection. If it did, Norvatis would have studied this to death and shown the results to the fDA for indication change! For those that day "it worked for me", well one study showed a "placebo" caused partial response to one participant, while one responder to the sando arm! If you still want to take it, I would wait until later in the disease course, and then make sure you image (CT Oscan) yourself. If your disease progresses, my reco is DO NOT INCREASE the doseage and continue on LAR and think you will stop tumor growth!( as some have done!) Look for other options instead (I understand, there is little to none in this space..hence the use of LAR as chemo!).... Good luck all

Comment from: YAM, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 22

I have confirmed case of acromegaly. Been taking Sandostatin Lar for 8 mths. Suffered diarhea:avoided lactose which corrected the problem. Surprised since a recent studdy found that only 0,15% of males had the same reaction. Am now on 30mg/mth with no side effects. I will soon find out if objectives were met. I am 76 and it is a toss-up between surgery to remove the adnome or medical treatment. If GH and IGF-1 meet objectives I may well remain on Sandostatin Lar. I passed 2 kidney stones 7 mths after tje first treatment, however I do not know if there is is causal effect. YAM

Related Reading: Sandostatin | kidney stones

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 15

Have acromagly, post surgery suffer headaches medication relieves pain.Allows a whole new life

Comment from: Jay, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 08

I receive Sandostatin LAR in relation to treatment of insulinoma. It has been VERY effective in keeping my symptoms in check!!!

Cancer