Serzone User Reviews

Serzone - User Reviews

Serzone User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Serzone sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: elizar, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 10

Serzone was very effective particularly used in combination with Wellbutrin to treat major depression and anxiety with no sexual side effects HOWEVER after over 4 years of use my liver functions were elevated to more than 10X normal levels. I was lucky it was caught in a routine blood test. It took more than 4 months for levels to return to normal. I would NOT recommend anyone using Serzone despite its efficacy in treating depression/anxiety with little or no sexual side effects. Further, I am now experiencing almost constant lightheadedness, imbalance, orthostatic hypotension (sudden drop in blood pressure) that may also be long-term effects of using Serzone. Has anyone else experienced any of these symptoms? I know of one other person who is having similar difficulties who took Serzone long-term....

Related Reading: orthostatic hypotension

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 02

My doctor changed my med from Zoloft to Serzone due to less sexual side effects. Other than being extremely dizzy and very sleepy on Serzone, I had a strange effect. Once I got to an effective dose, it only worked for a few days and then stopped working. This happened all the way up to the highest recommended dose and it still was not effective. You have to taper off this med very carefully because it has a short half-life and can have withdrawal effects.

Related Reading: Zoloft

Comment from: Glad to be here., 45-54 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 07

This medication helps me to be less irritable and more awake. I do an annual health screen and ask for liver panel to check for adverse effects as declared in warning by FDA.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 24

I took this medication several years ago to deal with postpartum depression and other depression related issues. This was a very STRONG medication for me. Be sure not to drink alcohol or caffiene while taking it. There were nights where I stayed up all night and slept the afternoon if I had a day off. Be sure you also eat a well balanced meal and keep up with your diet as it can make you irritable if you just take the pill and refuse to eat. I lost a lot of weight while on this medication. When first starting out, I had to take it gradually, beginning with 1/2 a pill per night, 1 pill per day, and then the 2 per day. I was prescribed 3 refills, and only used 2.

Related Reading: postpartum depression

Comment from: Yasmina, 45-54 (Patient) Published: October 04

I was on this in 1997 and immediately began experiencing severe nausea. I reported this to my clinician, but was told that this was a very "clean" drug, with practically no side effects. When I continued to complain, the doctor checked the literature and assured me that (at that time, anyway) nausea was not a reported side effect. The attacks of nausea were so debilitating that I had to stop whatever I was doing, and at one point I was at DMV, and wanted to ask a security guard to call an ambulance, but I couldn't move. So I laid down on the benches until the severity passed. These attacks always occurred within an hour or so of taking the dose. I simply could not continue taking them, even though the doctor kept insisting it couldn't be the Serzone. I've successfully used SSRI's since stopping Serzone. I'd forgotten this drug's name, only remembering that it was horrible, until the reports that it was pulled off the market years later. At least now, patients who continue to use this and DO experience nausea, will be taken seriously.

Comment from: dbee99, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: March 29

I have taken serzone for 5 years, I have had little to no side affects. I'm starting to come off, my vision is very blurry so the Doc.s think this might be the problem.

Comment from: dungotsmart, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 18

my husband had been taking for 5 years, (worked great)pharmacist said it was discontinued, now he is a guinee pig for other meds and has been very disoriented and falling. gave him cymbalta, falls all the time from dizziness.

Related Reading: cymbalta | dizziness

Comment from: 45-54 (Patient) Published: March 17

The only antidepressant I could use without sexual side effects or diarrhea (Viibrid). Since beginning it 2 months ago, I have severe hot flashes. Not sure yet if it is the med or coincidence that I started the med at the same time menopausal symptoms appeared.

Related Reading: diarrhea | hot flashes