Solodyn User Reviews

Solodyn - User Reviews

Solodyn User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Solodyn sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: nml82, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 11

I took Solodyn for about 6 weeks. No side affects at first...but within 2 weeks of taking it i woke up one morning with hives that spread all over my body. My hands would hurt as if they were entirely bruised just from opening a bottled water or using a key to open the door. THEN the chest pains. I associated it with the Claritin i took for the first time ever for congestion allergy symptoms the day before. Ended up going to my endocrinologist for help. He knew I had been prescribed Solodyn by my dermalogist but he didnt make the connection. He gave me a prescription for the reaction, but since it didnt help, he said try zyrtec. I did and my symptoms went away. I kept taking Solodyn because I had no clue it was the cause of my allergic reaction. At my 6 week follow up with my dermatologist, i still had chest pains (less often) and itching if i didnt take my daily Zyrtec, sometimes the chest pains came back even if i took it. He told me it quite possibly was the Solodyn and to stop taking it, keep taking zyrtec for a week and if the symptoms didnt come back, then that was our confirmation. Said and done. I'm all better. No more Solodyn for me. Found out the chest pains were esophegeal spasms --feel like i swallowed a chicken bone horizontally over and over in waves of pain. It radiated to my neck and jaw and my back. Very strange. Very painful. Sometimes to the point where I was ready to go to the ER. I am concerned that the FDA has only approved it for 12 weeks..thats scary.

Related Reading: Solodyn | hives | Claritin

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 04

I am in my early 30s and was experiencing occasional cystic acne on my face, nothing too extreme. My dermatologist prescribed this and I took it for one month before stopping. I do not take any other prescriptions. I write this as a warning. I lost at least 25% of my hair, maybe as much as 40%, developed the most extreme itching you can imagine, had hives and red blotches that would appear out of nowhere on my skin. It makes me sick how long it will take for my hair to grow back. I am so angry with this drug and my dermatologist (former) for prescribing this and not warning about the side effects. I am filing a MedWatch report on FDA.GOV.

Related Reading: acne | itching

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 06

I have been on Solodyn for 1 month, and have experience several side effects including headaches, dizziness and the same "out of sorts" feeling others have described. The one condition that no on else has mentioned is extreme hair loss. I will continue to read other reviews to see if anyone is experiencing the same side effects...it is frightening.

Related Reading: dizziness | hair loss

Comment from: mollydog, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 01

I have been on Solodyn 7 months for the treatment of PLEVA. I am starting to question the side effects. For the last two to three months I have been dizzy and feeling"out of sorts" along with blurry vision, headaches, and recenlty muscle aches. I recently read that this drug was tested by the FDA for a period of 12 WEEKS. Is there any info on the long term effects????

Comment from: CPAEvil, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 11

My dermatologist put me on this last April. I started having joint pain but mild so didn't worry about it. I started working out in February and I was really sore and my joints ached. Thought it was from working out but when I started having chills at night and aching hands and feet AND then could hardly walk, I went to my GP. He did a blood test and meanwhile put me on a Medrol dose pak. I felt great after 12 hours. When the blood test came back, my liver enzymes were 10 times what they should be and my SED rate was high (inflammation). He sent me to a rheumatologist and told me to quit taking solodyn and no alcohol. After almost 3 weeks and blood tests, the Rheumatoid doctor concluded that it was from the solodyn. My liver enzymes have gone down a lot and the swelling is better. IF YOU TAKE THIS DRUG, HAVE BLOOD TESTS. From what I have researched, this is a common (not rare) side effect of this drug. I would NEVER touch this again!!!

Related Reading: Medrol | liver

Published: February 08

I used this medication for about 18 months. I was only 15 when i started using this medication. It worked very well as far as preventing acne. After using this medication for about a year, I began to notice that I was losing hair. I stopped using this medication about 6 months ago and I am just starting to notice new hairs sprouting up where my hairline was receding. I strongly suggest talking to your doctor about the side effects of this medication because worrying about hairloss before I even have a full beard is not fun.