Spiriva User Reviews

Spiriva - User Reviews

Spiriva User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Spiriva sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: starion, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 27

It's MUCH more convenient than taking Atrovent multiple times/day & I've been taking it daily since shortly after FDA approval in 2004. Very effective, long-lasting med which is helpful for COPD patients especially. Side effects are pretty mild (at least for me). It may be causing slightly elevated resting heart rate, but otherwise haven't noticed side effects as long as I take it in the morning (believe it might keep me awake if I took it in the evening instead). Have suggested they make the capsule fully or partly clear so patients can see the powder in the capsule before they take their med & no powder after they've taken their med. BI (manufacturer) says they'll consider the suggestion, which has been implemented in some other countries.

Comment from: shortcake53, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: August 13

I've been thinking everything was fine. The drug appears to work quite well. Today, though, I went to my eye doctor and he told me I am beginning to experience signs of macular degeneration. I am only 55. I have been on Spiriva for one year and nine months and it has been almost exactly two years since my last eye appt. I had noticed problems with my eyesight and I had read that one could experience changes in vision with this drug. Has anyone else out there had any such diagnoses?

Related Reading: macular degeneration | Spiriva

Comment from: dbacarisse@aol.com, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 20

Increased risk of a Stroke using Spiriva. The FDA released a statement on 3/18/08 that Tiotropium (marketed as Spiriva HandiHaler) Audience: Pulmonary care health professionals and patients [Posted 03/18/2008] Boehringer Ingelheim and FDA notified healthcare professionals that ongoing safety monitoring has identified a possible increased risk of stroke in patients who take Spiriva. I suggest that you contact your Physician immediately as I am doing. This is the FDA webpage that discusses this problem. http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/safety/2008/safety08.htm#Tiotropium

Related Reading: Stroke

Comment from: jesse, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 11

This drugs is like a miracle for COPD but the side effects I experienced - anxiety, insomnia, depression, weight gain - have been so severe I've had to stop using it.

Related Reading: anxiety | insomnia | depression

Comment from: tarheel, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 15

My allergist/asthma Doc prescribed Advair and I had a number of side effects including pneumonia about two months after starting it. I was referred to a pulmunologist who immediately changed me to Spiriva. No problems with the Spiriva except maybe a little dry mouth. I have not been rinsing after taking Spiriva. I've been glad to get off the steroid in the Advair. Agree with the comments that the capsule should be clear to verify that there is content and that all is used.

Related Reading: asthma | pneumonia | dry mouth

Comment from: Helen Lovebuggie, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 21

I just started this drug after using the other drug ADVAIR for two years and this seems to be much better than the Advair! Hopefully I can remain on this and using only once a day instead of twice is more convenient also!!!

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 18

Have just started taking,but I quit. Have insomnia,constipation,rapid heartbeat,dry mouth,numbing in feet,headaches,and bouts of crying,also blurred vision.All this in 8 days. The only good was my wheezing improved,that isn't worth all the negatives.

Related Reading: constipation

Comment from: lulu639@cox.net, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: March 11

It has worked very well for me with my breathing problems, but I need to know, does it contain any steroids, because it seems my weight is going up and I am in a fitness class, I do not abuse food, but can't figure out why the weight gain.

Related Reading: fitness