Surmontil User Reviews

Surmontil - User Reviews

Surmontil User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Surmontil sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: CAMPBAKER, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 25

this drug was for me a lifesaver,i was able to deal with large amounts of physical pain(CHRONIC) from injuries + depression & life. it helped me sleep, i took it for more than 15 years & then in its generic form from canada.i was able to endure some very great difficulties that i wouldn't have been prior to taking this drug. AS TIME PAST I BECAME AWARE THAT I NO LONGER WALKED IN THE VALLEY OF DESPAIR WHERE MORBID LIKE PEOPLE, DRAG THEMSELVES FROM ONE EVENT TO ANOTHER, IT WAS DUE TO THIS DRUG, IT IS NOT WELL KNOWN & WAS EXPENSIVE UNTIL THE GENERIC BECAME AVAILABLE HERE IN THE USA. THERE ARE SOME USUAL TRICYCLIC SIDE EFFECTS.

Related Reading: depression | sleep

Comment from: ssstra, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 16

I was put on this medication to help with anxiety and insomnia. I have been sleeping through the night and feeling much better. The biggest side effect I have had has been constipation.

Related Reading: anxiety | insomnia | constipation

Comment from: Nitro99, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: December 26

1989: Acute depression following MI & CABGX3. Treated with Surmontil Rx- Psychiatrist. Very ftigued all day. slept full night and then 4-5 hours throughout the day. Experienced frequent ayrhythmia as well as palpatations.

Related Reading: Surmontil

Comment from: Damien, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 26

For me Surmontil was quite easy to take. Of all the antidepressants none worked as well as this medication. It just took 300 mg for it to give me full relief from a very bad depression. I was treated for a year by different Psychiatrist who prescribed it at 200 mg. Didn't work well at all. He tried Trazodone and Ascenden. Both at fairly high doses. This led to me recieving ECT. He did not provide this treatment so he turned me over to new and younger Psychiatrist who did. ECT worked within one week. Later the depression while not as bad returned. He decided to up my dosage up to 300 mg. I was doubtful that it do any good but in 2 and 1/2 weeks it kicked in and I felt great. I realize that I was taking a big dose but I wonder how many patients are victims of over cautious MDs. I had no heart problems with this med or anything else accept a good night sleep every night. Surmontil worked for me but if it wasn't for the MD increasing the dose to its maximum it would have been a treatment failure!

Related Reading: antidepressants

Comment from: Peach1, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: September 26

I have a history of cyclical depression with a strong anxiety component. I cannot take SSRI's because there is a strong history of Bi-polar in my family, which contraindicates their use. My depression and anxiety used to be treated with major and then minor tranquilisers. They did nothing but mask the symptoms. Surmontil has literally given me a full and balanced life. In depressive episodes I take 50mg nightly, but as maintenance I take 25mg continually, a sub-clincial dose, which has hugely reduced my depressive episodes to averagely one every five years rather than one every year. It has a strong anti-anxiety component and aids restful, dream filled sleep, something sleeping pills cannot do. If I even feel my emotional boat tipping, or I have a run of bad nights I up my dose to 50mg for a couple of nights till sleep is established again and then return to the sub-clinical dose. I couldn't recommend it more highly. I am now exploring it's use with my doctor as a treatment for nerve pain. I have a long term neurological condition and noticed that on the higher dose my nerve pain eased. I want to depend less on long term painkillers and Surmontil may help me do this. It has far fewer side effects than Lyrica for instance so this is worth exploring for me. It does make me feel extra hungry which has led to weight gain in the past, but I now go to bed soon after taking it and this avoids the munchies kicking in. For the right patient this is a wonderfully safe anti-depressant whose anti anxiety component kicks in straight away and which has none of the side effects that SSRI's can often cause in the initial few weeks.

Related Reading: Lyrica

Comment from: lYNNDEE, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 17

AFTER HAVING A BREAKDOWN IN 89 , I HAD TO GO THROUGH XANAX WITHDRAW IN A HOSPITAL WITH NO MEDS TO HELP WITHDRAW OF XANAX , NEDDLESS TO TELL YOU I WENT INTO CARDIAC ARRETHIMA , FROM THE WITHDRAW . MY BREAKDOWN LEAD ME TO NOT BE ABLE TO EAT AT LIKE NEAR DEATH A DOC IN THE HOSPITAL GAVE ME SURMONTIL . iT SAVED MY LIFE AND MANY OTHER PHYSICAL SYPTMONS . I WAS SOON HOME WITH MY NEW SON AND MY 2 OTHER SONS AND FAMILY . iT SAVED ME . tHE ONLY SIDE AFFECTS WERE DROWSIENESS AND THE WEIGHT GAIN BUT AT THE TIME THAT WAS A BONUS FOR ME , AS I WENT TO LIKE 60 POUNDS . I HAVE TO TELL YOU IT WAS A LIFESAVER AND I AM LIVING PROOF OF THAT , I WPOULD TAKE IT AGIAN IF NEEDED BUT THE WEIGHT WOULD REALLY PUT ME UP ON THE POUNDS , LOL . BUT I WOULD RECCOMEND THIS DRUG HIGHLEY . oH AND IT WORKED IN DAYS REALLY FAST I COULD EAT , LAUGH GO HOME AND ENJOY MY SONS AND FAMILY . THEY NEED TO BRING BACK THESE MEDS AND QUIT WITH THE NEW ONES THAT HAVE BRUTAL SIDE AFFECTS . i HOPE I CAN HELP SOMEONE ELSE OR THEIR LOVED ONES . BEST WISHES . THIS DRUG WORKS ......

Related Reading: XANAX