Synthroid User Reviews

Synthroid - User Reviews

Synthroid User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Synthroid sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Mare, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 15

Hello, I have been using Synthroid for over ten years and find it the best to use. I have never had my dose increased as I follow the SPECIFIC directions for use. Take it at the same time every day (for me, 5 A.M.!)and on an empty stomach--for one hour. I have found, my morning coffee is fine with no cream, or half and half ; a food. I tried the generic form and it did not have the same affect, or good results. Take your Synthroid as directed, which is usually first thing in the morning, ONE full hour BEFORE eating any food. Yet, ask your doctor about this. I also advocate eating smaller amounts of food if you have weight to lose after being diagnosed. I gained a tremendous amount of weight from being mis-diagnosed for almost four years. After beginning a course of Synthroid and revamping my life routine, I was able to lose 80 pounds in one year. I am now a healthy 138 pounds.Being very thin all my life and being tall, nearly 5"10, I feel like my young self again! I did not do any extreme exercise routine or have to starve myself to lose the weight. I've been a disciplined eater all my life. The key to using this med is, clearly, to stay in with your prescribing doctor and have your TSH profile tested often enough to KNOW your dose is appropriate for you. I have never had to piggyback additional T3 with my dose of Synthroid. Look into your diet, check what may be needing a change. Research the foods and supplements that affect your medication and may inhibit the full benefit. Also, at one point in time, I had fluctuations in how I felt; years later, and went back to my doctor who tested me and found I had been going through a normal hormone change (menopause)! I experienced symptoms NOT related to the hypothyroid and my medication dose was still fine for me. Be of good cheer, hope this helps. Sincere, Mare

Related Reading: Synthroid | menopause

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 09

I was on synthroid for about 8 years and I never felt good on it. I begged my doctors to give me alternatives. I fired my doctors and have now switched to one who cares and who has put me on a natural thyroid replacement. I feel fantastic. Better than I have for many many years. I have energy. I;m tyaking off the weight I put on and just feel like my old self. What I take not only replaces your T4 like synthroid but if also replaces the 5-6 other things that your thyroid is supposed to replace. Researh on the net. Go to http://thyroid.about.com/

Comment from: mmbsrUSA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

Specify if you are using the generic Levothyroxine or brand name Synthroid in your post. There is a difference. If you started out on the generic Levothyroxine as I did, and suffered any side effects that are intolerable to you, switch to the brand name Synthroid. Using the generic brand, I noticed immediate improvement in energy and overall feeling of well-being; however, an increasingly intolerable headache began occuring within a half hour of dosing each day and became severe enough that the trade off was no longer worth it. After conferring with my Dr., she stated that my experience on the generic was not uncommon, but she wanted to start with that one to avoid a dispute with the insurance company and patients complaining to her about the increased cost of the original brand name. Since switching to the brand name Synthroid, I am experiencing all the benefits of the generic WITHOUT any headaches or side effects; no insomnia, no weight gain (actually am losing weight at about 2lbs a week), no brain fog, no depression. I do want to say that you have to be proactive. You cannot expect a pill to be the 'cure-all'. You have to exert some mental and physical will power. If you are a hypochondriac or some other 'woe-is-me' type person, by all means, this drug is for you, as if will give you something else to whine about. If you are proactive and want a change in your life, Synthroid is for you as well. To avoid the threat of constipation, I increased my fruit and vegetable intake. I also consume massive amounts of flavored calorie free-sugar free water. I eliminated most starches. Which, boys and girls, translates to how I should have been eating all along. I still enjoy my favorite foods, but I have noticed that on Synthroid, my cravings for junk food have diminished. I think some of you that are listing 'insomnia' are over using the term in replacement for increased energy levels. Use the extra energy to exercise. Get busy living or get busy dying. YOUR CHOICE!

Related Reading: headache | insomnia | depression

Comment from: NewHypoPt, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 20

I was dx with hypothyroidism after blood tests revealed a high (but not extremely high) TSH level. My doctor had to convince me to try it, since I have no symptoms, am a normal weight, etc... She convinced me to try Synthroid for a few months to see if it cleared up any symptoms that I didn't know I had. I'm about a week into treatment (it takes up to two for the full effect), and have noticed that I have more energy in the mornings and more color to my skin. I have not experienced any issues with water retention or bloating, weight gain or loss, hair loss, or other side effects. I did flush once after running and looked like a tomato for about 5 minutes, which has never happened. I also noticed that for the first morning or two I felt a little "shaky", but that went away when I switched from high-fiber cereal to a protien-based breakfast (1 egg and 1/2 english muffin). I was prescribed .25mcg (lowest dose). I eat 1800-2000 calories/day and focus on whole foods (whole veggies/fruits, meats, whole grains), but I don't subscribe to any particular 'diet'. I excercise 5-6 times/week at a moderate-high intensity. I will re-post once I've had a longer experience on Synthroid, but wanted to post about my first impressions since there are so many negative reviews out there and it's scary for people who are just diagnosed and are looking for info.

Related Reading: hypothyroidism | hair loss