Synthroid User Reviews

Synthroid - User Reviews

Synthroid User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Synthroid sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: nolagirl, 25-34 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 14

I had hypothyroidism since i was 12 yrs.old, i am now 32. Synthroid is all i had taken up until 2 years ago, i started taking cytomel with the synthroid. All of you saying synthroid does not work you may need to take cytomel also. Our body needs T3 and T4, synthroid is only made up of T4 not everyone's body converts T3 into T4 that is what cytomel is T4. I cannot tell you how much better i feel, i always never felt right on synthroid but the doctor would tell me my numbers were where they needed to be. Finding the right doctor is ESSENTIAL.

Related Reading: cytomel

Comment from: dk007, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 26

I was taking this medication upon arising with a full glass of water each morning. By afternoon I was so fatigued I could hardly move. One day I forgot to take it and made it through the day just fine. The next day I resume my morning dose. Again I was fatigued. So I switched to taking it a night after not eating for 2 hours. No more fatigue.

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: February 21

I am 65 years old have been using Synthroid 75 mcg for the past 20 years following postpartum hypothyroidism. I initially felt great as I was not so tired. Over the years I developed various symptoms ie insomnia, dry mouth, coated tongue and in the past few years I had heart palpitations, body tremors and lower extremity neuropathy. I gradually stopped the medications and all symptoms disappeared. I also noticed I had been retaining fluid and my thyroid was enlarged. My skin was now moist, softer and less wrinkled and my memory improved. This is all after my doctor told me my thyroid level was fine. But,I had felt so uncomfortable I gradually decreased my dosage to zero without my doctors consent. The medical profession appears to only assess the use of this drug by blood results which seems to be inadequate. I worry what damage has resulted to my internal organs.

Related Reading: dry mouth | tremors

Comment from: Lynn Angel, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 08

I am 62, have been on Synthroid since 12-09 have found that I don't sleep well at night, gained weight, cold all the time, very tired, muscle aches, tired in the afternoons, fall asleep on the couch trying to watch my tv shows, no energy, depressed, headaches, heart rate increased, no interest in doing anything. I can not see where this medicine has helped other than bring down my thyroid level from 9.1 to 6.0 now. I hate this medicine and I am going to quit taking it... going to try something that is natural. Any help out there...?

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 27

I've been on Synthroid (75MCG) for a week and I feel like I am going crazy! Anxiety is horrible...Heart feels like it's going a mile a minute...feel like I could pass out at times...feels like I am on speed...not good. I am having this dosage changed a.s.a.p and so far my impression of this drug is not a good one. I hope it gets better once the dosage gets changed because I can't imagine living like this...I feel like I was better off 2 weeks ago when I didn't even know I had hypothyrodism. Has anyone else experienced those feelings? Will it get better?

Comment from: blawhun, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 17

I'm 29 and was diagnosed with Under active thyroid back in June 2009. My meds have been changed several times. I am now on 50 mcg. I cannot take the generic because it does not work for me. I am having heart palpitations on a daily bases to the point I wonder if it is really a heart related problem. After reading some reviews I feel it is more related to Sythroid. I have NO sex drive as well. This med sucks and I will be seeking an alternative whether it natual or another brand. Also having severe headaches daily. Does anyone out there have the same issues or have any suggestions??

Comment from: beaches1, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 04

I had taken Synthroid for 9 years, but thought I would switch to Levothyroxine to save money. On Levothyroxine my brain seemed foggy and I gained 11 pounds over the last year. Plus my dosage has changed 3 times-my TSH and T4 are all over. Two weeks ago I had my Dr. put me back on Synthroid, 175 mcg. and I my kids were saying yesterday that I had stopped repeating myself and seemed to be an energizer bunny. For me the generic did not work as well.

Comment from: Synthroid lover, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: July 22

In July 1993 I started feeling horrible, I had gained 65 lbs in 6 weeks. Cold, tired, constipated and mean! Had many BMR tests, no conclusion. By the time I visited a friend who was an ARNP, NOT a Dr. She looked at me and said your Thyroid is dead! It was, my TSH was 148.65. I was hospitalized to start treatment, levothroid NEVER worked!! 18 years later, I've been on synthroid for 18 years.. A new insurance company says no more synthroid, Levothroid does not work. 45 lb weight gain, moody and miserable. Back on Synthroid, I will buy it myself before I ever go off of it again. Almost normal again! Don't let a Dr. or an insurance company tell you whats GOOD for you!!

Related Reading: levothroid