Tapazole User Reviews

Tapazole - User Reviews

Tapazole User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Tapazole sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: gray, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 23

I have not experienced any side effects with this medication. I had lost 20 lbs in 5 months, I gained back 11 lbs in 2 months after starting the treatment.

Comment from: Chris, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 28

I have been on Tapazole about 2 years now. The benefits of it have outweighed the side effects. I get a little drowsy from it sometimes, but before I started on it, I thought I was going to die of a heart attack! My heart pounded all the time, and I had trouble breathing sometimes. My legs swelled and ached so bad, and my back kept going out to the point where I could not walk for over a week. Since I've been on it, none of that has happened!

Related Reading: heart attack

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 14

Well, the dosage I went from, 4 pills per day to two pills per day, to 1 pill per day, to now I'm taking 1/4 of a pill. So far it' worked fined. My unease has been the facct that I have to chop this little pill into fourths. but other than that it's worked great.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 30

Began taking 10 mg 1 month ago, after 1 year of being tired. Had never lost weight before, but all of a sudden I have gained 10 lbs, in a month. Slightly less tired now, still have tremors & heart palpitations. I am very upset about the weight gain. Extremely noticeable in tummy area.

Related Reading: tremors | palpitations

Comment from: Cruisegirl, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 01

I was recently diagnosed with Graves disease. Before my diagnosis, my endocrinologist was not sure that I had a thyroid problem due to lack of symptoms. The only noticeable symptom I had was loss of weight. A thyroid scan and further TSH test revealed that I have an overactive thyroid. I have been on Methimazole (10 mg) a day for a month.I am grateful that have not experienced any side effects.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 05

I was prescribed Tapazol by a endoctronologist, Dr. Larry Cantley, in WS, NC. Bottom line, I almost died from this drug. I developed drug induced hepatitis & was told by this doctor " not to be concerned...my body was adapting to the RX". In the meantime, my urine was turning almost black, i itched horribly...even behind my eyelids. It became difficult to hold my head up, I was so weak. In addition, I became jaundiced. Had it not been for my pharmacist, I am certain I would have died from this med. He immediately recognized my symptoms as severe side effects from this medication. What I was experiencing had nothing to do with whatever condition I was being treated for. It took me 6 weeks to recover after ceasing this medication. It also turned out that I NEVER had hyperthroidism in the first place! Be extremely cautious before taking this, or any med. And, always get a second opinion...even if a "reputable" specialist makes a diagnosis.

Related Reading: hepatitis

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: May 02

I am a long term user of Tapazole for Grave's Disease for over a decade now. In low maintenance dosages, 2.5 to 10mg risks of serious side effects are very low. Treatment is inexpensive compared to surgery or RAI, and you don't have to take weeks off from work. If you are not allergic to it, there's no science backed reason you can't keep taking Tapazole every time you relapse. finding the right doc though...that can be harder.

Comment from: little one, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 26

started taking it 4 weeks ago. gained 7lbs in 4 days, got sore throat, and 3am night sweats so bad I needed a shower. After weight gain dropped to 1 pill a day. Then the night sweats and sore throat together. Stopped taking pill and everything disappeared. Dr. says no relation to meds.

Related Reading: sore throat | night sweats

Comment from: anon, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 04

I have been taking 10mg of Tapazole daily for six months to treat Graves disease. I have gained 35 pounds--what I'd lost and some extra. My heart palpitations have stopped and most of the tremors. Also improved depression symptoms, decreased bowel movements, and cleared up my skin problems. I was feeling better, but the last four weeks, I've noticed increasing muscle weakness and hair loss. At least 50% of my hair has come out. Last time I had blood work done (March), the thyroid levels were "getting better." I'm going to ask about my side effects and potentially adjusting my medication dosage when the office re-opens after the holiday. The first two weeks I took the medication I had nausea about an hour after taking it. The taste of the pill is awful. It also makes me very sleepy, so I take it at night.

Related Reading: hair loss