Tegretol User Reviews

Tegretol - User Reviews

Tegretol User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Tegretol sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 07

I started Tegretol 3 weeks ago and after 5 days of increasing my dose I found relief from my pain. Today I have had some bleed through pain, but it was nothing compared to what I was going through without this drug. So far so good.

Related Reading: Tegretol

Comment from: Natie, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 02

I've been on Tegretol for 18 yrs. For seizures,been seizure free for that lenght of time. After reading reviews, maybe Tegretol is what causes me to be tired alot of the time. I have trouble with memory and recalling words in conversation with people.

Related Reading: seizure

Comment from: Mo, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 10

I was on tegretol for 3 weeks for trigeminal neuralgia. It was working very well to relieve the pain. But then I developed a nasty rash, first around my knees, then up my legs, arms, neck and face. Dr. had me stop taking tegretol immediately, saying that the rash could be life-threatening. I was broken-hearted to go off tegretol because it provided the first relief from pain that I'd had in years. I'm on gabapentin now, but it just does not relieve pain well, and I'm gaining weight despite daily exercise and a lowfat diet (7 pounds in 8 weeks.)

Related Reading: trigeminal neuralgia | rash

Comment from: celticmaiden, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 06

Tegretol seems to help me identify my depression from periods when I'm manic; this helps because knowing what mode I'm in, I can treat the symptoms of depression like not being too hard on myself, knowing my limitations, accepting them, be kind to myself, make sure that I eat. When I realize that I'm manic, I treat the symptoms by taking a walk to release increased energy & journaling to purge myself of racy thoughts. I still cycle about every 2 weeks, and I have terrible problems with irritablity & anger management. Whether manic or depressed, its all about self-care. Before taking tegretol, I was in a state of constant chaios because I didn't understand what was happening with my mind. I thought I was either going crazy or just being carefree; I couldn't understand why I couldn't keep a job and such. The only side effect I feel I have is fatigue. Tegretol does not do alot to control my manic-deppresive episodes; there are times I feel like I could crawl out of my skin, my head reels, and things seem so surreal or I get so depressed that I don't get out of bed for a couple of days feeling catatonic. Like I stated before, the tegretol does help me identify my mood swings somewhat and that helps.

Related Reading: depression | fatigue

Comment from: scharri, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 16

I have not experienced any side effects that I know of and I have been on this drug for ten years.

Comment from: Joe, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: July 09

I have been on tegretol for about 15 years. It has worked great for controlling my seizures (I have had no seizures while on it in 15 years). However, I am not a fan of taking any medications on a daily basis. Recently I had a dr. appointment and had to get a bone density scan because tegretol is now linked to osteoporosis (have not received my results yet). I haven't noticed any major side effects but I have seen a slight decrease in my passion/excitement/energy for things in everyday life. It also seems to have slowed my metabolism. I work out vigorously 6 days a week and eat pretty healthy as I am trying to lose about 10-15 pounds but am only losing about 1 pound per week (I am sure there are other factors that play into this but feel the tegretol plays a role as well). My personal thoughts, if you have a serious seizure disorder; take the medication it has worked great for me. If it is a mild disorder; try to find some other non-medicated remedy (this is my situation and I wish I would have found an alternative remedy to medication but I was 15 when I started and didn't know any better). I fear it is too late for me to stop now. Good luck to whomever reads this and I hope it helps!

Related Reading: osteoporosis

Comment from: Isabelle, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 22

I've been on Tegretol for 27 years and the only trouble I had was sensitivity to the hot sun. I was on a sweltering holiday in Tenerife and bloated up-like a blow fish all over my body in 24 hrs with a terrible thirst. After only one anti-histamine I made a full recovery in 12 hrs. Tenerife was very hot that holiday and the average British summer has never caused me any trouble. Now I just take a precautionary anti-histamine should the temp on holiday rise above 85. My GP told me this is a reaction to taking Tegretol. Overall, my Epilepsy is well controlled and I lead a wonderful and full life!

Epilepsy

Find tips and treatments to control seizures.