Tofranil User Reviews

Tofranil - User Reviews

Tofranil User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Tofranil sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 05

This has been my miracle drug. After twenty years of dealing with panic attacks and depression; this drug has finally helped me to overcome some of my biggest fears in life. About once every two years, the doctor ups my strength, but this drug has been a GODSEND!!!

Related Reading: panic attacks | depression

Comment from: MIKE, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 28

This one leaves all other depression meds. in the dust! This includes the new "wonder" drugs like Cymbalta,Effexor,etc. gives a natural good mood, and I get less side effects than I did from the new "clean anti- depressants.Prozac and Zoloft gave me a very unnatural feeling and I found myself doing things I wouldn't normally do.Tofranil gives me a constant mild euphoric state, the polar opposite of how I felt when I started using it.Less side effects than other older anti- depressants.In my opinion, the best anti- depressant, hands down, and I've tried 9 different ones.Tell your M.D. you want to try this one first!

Related Reading: Cymbalta | Effexor | Prozac

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: March 29

After years of depression and trying several newer antidepressants (that had bad side effects), I was prescribed Tofranil by my dr. I take a very low dose, but it is a "miracle" drug. I have my life back. Constipation is a side-effect, but it is controlled by an increase in fiber intake.

Related Reading: antidepressants | Tofranil | Constipation

Comment from: Cat, 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 09

This medication saved my life. Before I was very depressed and slept terribly throughout my entire life. I've been taking it for eight years now and have had no abnormal depression and I sleep through the night. My mother also has taken this medication for anxiety and it worked well for her as well.

Related Reading: sleep | anxiety

Comment from: giant slayer, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 28

In 1986 (age 26)I returned to finish last 2 yrs. of college; earlier I had embraced an organic diet, lots of rest, exercise; no money worries, & always excelled @ studies. Yet 1/2 way thru 3rd sem. experienced sudden memory loss, wakefulness, unrefresh-ing sleep, & loss of appetite. In less than a week I had suicide ideation-yet reality was I was very satisfied & happy! After get-ting both physical & mental health assess-ment, the campus psych. diagnosis: mild seasonal depression, or SAD (though it was July.) Now I say it was PTSD from my prior military service. SSRI drugs (i.e., Prozac, Lexapro) didn't exist; only tricyclics back then (1st produced as an antihistamine, imipramine trials incidently reported as 1st known drug effective for depression. Tried Elavil with intolerable results (felt very angry & impatient), but Tofranil returned me rapidly to nor.m. Very lucky to accessed a Psych Dr. who's wife was diagnosed with depression, & also that I'd found a solution so quickly. My grades didn't suffer. The clinical dose of 100 mg. was overkill though; I found 25mg. was good for me; my sleep returned, my studies continued, and I aced the finals as usual. I learned hydration, avoiding caffeine, and good fiber diet critically essential (all of which I was good at, but did better). I got off of it after six months. Over my life span (age 52) I have experienced three additional episodes, and each time very comfortable on low dose Tofranil for 6 months. New evidence shows my symptoms might be my way of style of coping with stress: my survival style by choice is to supress feelings until well after the crisis until I feel safe; then begin suffering mental & physical disturbances. By the way, many mental health pros tried to push me to try the newer SSRIs-but given I'd found a safe, tested and cheap tricyclic, I refused. That is until this summer (facing physical disability issues). Tried Lexapro, then Prozac. Moderate doses of each caused severe suicidal dreaming.

Related Reading: suicide | mental health | Lexapro

Comment from: Chloe, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: May 20

I began taking Tofranil for depression and anxiety disorder when I was 21 years of age only to discover that I could pay attention enough to read book, something I could never do before. I had no idea I had ADD until I started this drug and read about other effects it has. I was able to get a B.A. at a university and a good job. I still have problems with housekeeping (which goes with ADD) but have been very happy with the drug overall.