Tofranil User Reviews

Tofranil - User Reviews

Tofranil User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Tofranil sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: ladeanjanel, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 28

I was on this medication for a long period of time (about 4 years) for a permanent mood disorder. I experienced muscle twitches on the beginning of treatment and my doctor reassured me that they would go away once my body adjusted to the medication. These twitches later turned into tremors affecting my right hand. Medication was discontinued however, the tremors have become permanent. They are severe to the point that I have lost most use of my right hand. Please be extremely careful with this medication. Short time usage will not/should not lead to long term, permanent side effects, but use extreme caution in long term usage!

Related Reading: tremors

Comment from: Katherine, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 14

I have been taking Tofranil (Imipramine) for 29 years for anxiety disorder and depression. It has worked very well for me. I was able to feel "normal" again. I finished my Master's Degree and worked on my PhD while taking this medication, and I have also held several very responsible jobs while taking it. The only side effects I've ever had are dry mouth, occasional constipation, and weight gain (but I am also hypothyroid and that needs to be taken into consideration for weight). If you truly need this medication, I highly recommend it. However, it should be noted that all antidepressants are habit forming and should never be stopped without being under the care of your physician.

Related Reading: dry mouth

Comment from: Dee, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 14

I have taken Tofranil for about 15 years. I have not had any side effects at all. It has worked very well for me.

Comment from: MarkC, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: March 22

I have been taking toffranil for 36 years with about a 2 year break in the middle. During the two years depression slowly returned and I restarted the medication. It has been so effective I have never had an instance of depression on the medication. I originally was on 25Mg/day but after time upped this to 50Mg. I have no side effects and it has allowed me to thrive and excel in life. Only closest friends know of my history but I will gladly share this with anyone showing signs of depression. I can only hope my story can save lives for others and remove the stigma of depression and effective treatment.

Comment from: Judy36, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 26

MD didn't want me to have such an "old" drug...I used it before and it was great, New Psch. MD orders it for me!

Comment from: toflover, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 18

It is the best drug

Comment from: bff, 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 22

I suffer from migraines and when my doctor gave this medication I was insulted because its main treatment is for depression. After a couple of weeks I was so grateful. Most of my migraines were brought on by anxiety and some depression. (I didn't want to accept that I was depressed because that meant my best friend really died) I'm now being weaned off which is scary because this medication helped me so much. I'm not as anxious, working through my depression, and have about 2migraines a month. If any of this sounds like you ask your doctor it could be a cure for you as it was for me.

Comment from: biggiecheese, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 02

This was the first medication I took. It seemed to work, but I had so many side effects, the medication developed into another stressor. Before this medication (and even before any medications) I slept well, no issues. After taking it, I had nightmares every single night causing me to wake 2, sometimes 3 times per night. Huge withdrawl symptoms when I came off it and I only had it for 1.5 months.

Related Reading: nightmares

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 30

This was the first antidepressent that I took 20 years ago when I was 13. It was hard core stuff with terrible side effects-- severe constipation that caused hemorrhoids (which is extremely embarrasing for a 13 yr. old), loss of concentration, and terrible insomnia. It is a very old school drug, one of the first classes of antidepressants. I am surprised they still prescribe this med.

Related Reading: hemorrhoids | insomnia