Tofranil User Reviews

Tofranil - User Reviews

Tofranil User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Tofranil sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 13-18 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 09

I was told by my doctor that I was prescribed this for my problems sleeping and headaches. I did not know it was an anti-depressant. (I'm underage, I'm guessing my parents knew). At first I was hesitant to take it, but this medicine has helped me with my symptoms. It was only mildly effective with my sleep issues so I take Melatonin as well. As for depression, my doctor recently upped my dosage. My only side effect has been loss of appetite (and therefor weight loss).

Comment from: cwwinterchild, 19-24 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 02

I took this medication for Eight(8) years as a child(ages 5-12), and it was absolutely horrible! All of my current medical conditions: Adult ADHD/Endometriosis/Anxiety-PTSD/Allergies/Stomach Sensitivities-(Nausea,Diarrhea)/Sun Allergies/Mood Disorders/Depression/etc..., were due to/and caused by this medication, SOLELY! DO NOT GIVE THIS MEDICATION TO CHILDREN OF ANY AGE; BE FOREWARNED! IT CAUSES THESE DISORDERS!!! I would not recommend this medication for anyone, it causes severe pain/agony/ and mental-mood disorders of a wide range and spectrum!

Related Reading: Adult ADHD | Endometriosis | Diarrhea

Comment from: lakeshore, 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: March 08

I've taken imipramine since a bout with depression in 1988. Now I take it in conjunction with MS and sleep difficulties because of excess trips to the bathroom at night. It keeps me calm and not so tense.

Comment from: NYBowtech, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 21

I started taking this grug when I was 10 years old. I have been on it ever since and I am 34 now. Now the bedwetting has gone away and I at a 25mg dose now. When I first began I was at 125mg. I have stayed the medication becuase I went off of it and I had extreme mood changes, in a not so good way. I was on a 50mg dose over the past 15 years and after going off of it and having problems I went back on at 25mg. It's a small price to pay becuase this drug saved my childhood. As an active male who was into scouting and other outdoor activities it kept me able to spend nights away from home and not have to worry about being belittled due to bedwetting. I'll take the medication until the day I die if I have too. Again, it saved my childhood years.

Related Reading: bedwetting

Comment from: jassse, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 26

its the best

Comment from: mcngi2@verizon.net, 65-74 Published: February 12

I took Tofranil MANY years ago. I was only 32 at the time. It worked SO well for me. Is it because I was so young and only treated my problems because of my husband dying and it was my HORRIBLE life experience. I was the total caretaker - kidney machine etc. etc. etc.Now I can't find anything to help me without feeling like a drug person with even more anxiety than then. Is it because I was so young and healthy or is it because I am now older - I am now 72 - that no one even talks about this anti-depressant.What was so different with this older anti-dpressant than these new ones? Is it because of their brain cell activities - was it my youth - what made that drug so much better than anything I can ever get today., What is it - was it my youth and my demanding life - or was it the ingredients in this drug. Please, some doctor explain to me so I can know if it was the right medicine for me cause I'm starting to try new ones. I HATE MEDICINE - but I am willing to ask "what happened" to me" when I thought I was being helped. I am a horrific person for pills - my doctors get SO angry with me that I stop taking even my necessary heart pills.

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 11

I hav e been on imipramine for 25 years. It began working exactly 14 days after my first dose; it was like a huge wheight lifted off my shoulders. For a few weeks it made me very tired but that went away. Side effects were dry mouth and some hardening of the stool. Also it's good to take with food because it can cause heartburn. This stuff is amazing it saved my life. I tried going off it once but the anxiety returned.

Related Reading: heartburn

Comment from: Careful user, on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: April 28

About 40 years ago, I was perscribed Tofamil by a doctor. I was clueless to the side effects. As I took the medication, my depression became more severe and in the second week, lead to a suicide attempt. One month later, the prescribing doctor successfully committed suicide. Even though I suspected this drug, my inquiries were met with rebuffs. Since installing the Internet, I was able to confirm the truth of my suspicions all these years. I have learned to never take a prescribed drug without reading the side effects. If I do not like what I am reading,and consider it dangerous, I will not take the drug regardless of the benefits. My age at that time was 40.