Topamax User Reviews

Topamax - User Reviews

Topamax User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Topamax sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: chrisca562, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 16

I was prescribed this med to help with racing thoughts and it has worked wonders. It has controlled the thoughts and I do not drink nor crave alcohol at all. It is a miracle drug and it is a great weight management pill to boot. Two thumbs up!

Comment from: katydid, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 26

I took topamax to quit drinking. Only took a couple weeks. I have been sober 1yr. now!

Related Reading: topamax

Comment from: jlyons506, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 29

I am an alcoholic and decided to stop drinking (again!) about 9 months ago. I am also bipolar and take daily medications for mood stabilization and depression. I was not thrilled about taking another pill, but was more open to the idea when told that it could help with my weight loss goals as well. I had gained an enormous amount of weight in the past 5 years (80 pounds) from depression stemming from a traumatic loss. TOPAMAX is a miracle drug in my book. Today, I am 9 months sober and 60 pounds lighter. I have my life back, and have never felt happier. I literally have no cravings, and days go by when I don't even think about drinking. I would never have believed it a year ago. I will never go back to where I was. Thanks TOPAMAX!

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: HAWKEYE, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 07

EXCELLENT MED ! JUST A GENERAL COMMENT QUESTION . AS MY DR. INCREASED MY DOSEAGE I BEGAN TO WAKE UP DAILY WITH VISION DISTURBANCES . DOUBLE VISION , ETC. LASTING FOR ABOUT 20 - 30 SECONDS THEN IT WOULD SUBSIDE . HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED ANY VISION ISSUES WHILE TAKING THIS MED ? ALSO , I MUST SAY THE WEIGHT LOSS SIDE EFFECT FOR ME IS AN ICREDIBLE PLUS . I HAVE LOST 55 POUNDS SINCE JANUARY !

Related Reading: DOUBLE VISION

Comment from: Joy4u2, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 26

I was put on Topamax for depression and for weight problems last year at this time I weighed 220 I'm now at 165 I eat well and more healthy not wanting junk food any more. not as many headaches as before.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 21

i get migranes every day. since i started on the topamax i dont have them as often. i was taken off of the drug to see how much it has helped & after 1 week i was back to the dr. with migranes all over again. i had to be put back on to control the headaches. i did experience significant weight loss as a result of being put on the topamax. so with the loss of appetite i just make sure i snack as much a possible.

Comment from: mercury013, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 04

This might seem really weird review, but I feel the urge to post it. I took Topamax for over a year, but not for the usual use. I didn't have migraines or anything, but had/have a severe drug and alcohol addiction. I used meth for over 10 years daily. I decided to get help and had trouble kicking the habit. My doctor put me on Topamax and it helped considerably with my cravings and crazy thinking (well somewhat :)). I eased off of it about a year sober and am soooo thankful this was around for me to take. It had some weird side effects, like my fingers and toes would start to tingle especially when cold. It made me pretty tired after I took it. Also, if I drank any soda I would belch ALOT, but considering the alternative it was nothing I couldn't live with. I've now been clean for almost 2 1/2 years and going strong, thanks to this medicine and other things I do to stay sober. It may not be the usual post, but I hope it can help someone out there.

Comment from: Alpaige, 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 21

My daughter and I both take Topamax for mood stabilization. However, it has affected both of us in the area of memory. Me more severy than her, as I take a higher dose, and for much longer. But, she's only 12yrs old, and remembering things is key in her life, and she has a lot of difficulty remembering things from week to week. I'm afraid it's gonna start affecting her performance in school. At her last visit to her psychiatrist, he upped her dose from 125mg to 200mg, and now I'm thinking that was not such a great idea. IDK. I think this may not be the med for her at all.

Comment from: papergirl, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 06

If you can bear with the side effects for the first two months, it is so worth it. I have gone from daily headaches and dehibiltating migraines twice a month to 1-2 migraines this past year, and they are manageable with relpax...no more trips to the doc to get a shot and a dose of narcotics!! As far as side effects, had the tingling of the hands, then someone told me to take a multi-vitamin and that pretty much cured that. The taste altering lasted over a year and carbonated drinks still don't taste right. Also had some moderate weight loss over time, about 10 pounds, that is easy to maintain... and I don't get cold anymore... But, as anyone that suffers migraines so bad that the press so hard on the back of their neck that they induce bruises; I say the side effects are well worth it. I go in to have blood work done on my liver every 6 months for my Crestor anyway. (can't imagine Topomax doing anymore damage than the 3 Alleve a day I was having to eat to get by before just to manage my headaches so I could parent my two daughters and run my business) So overall, I feel this has been helpful to me and my family and enabled me to recapture my life.

Related Reading: relpax | bruises | liver

Epilepsy

Find tips and treatments to control seizures.