Topamax User Reviews

Topamax - User Reviews

Topamax User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Topamax sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: nylasher, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 19

A migraine prevention wonder drug. It has changed my life! I only take 25 mg two times a day, below what is recommended because that's what works for me. Maybe that's why I have not had the side effects so many others have experienced. No one HAS to take 100 mg a day if less works for them. Don't be afraid to try a lesser dosage because it really can make a huge difference in your quality of life. I have taken it over a year and have had three bad headaches in that time compared to two a month without it. Hurray!

Related Reading: prevention

Comment from: GrannaConnie, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 05

After a suicide attempt and years of being on an antidepressant, I was also given Topamax as a mood stabilizer. For the first time in over 20 years, I am not depressed. It took a few weeks before it really began working effectively and I almost gave up on it because of the metallic taste in my mouth--nothing tasted good for weeks (not even a cigarette). But I waited it out and I'm so glad I did. I nerver thought I would be able to say that I'm not depressed. It feels like I have been depressed my whole life. The Topamax combined with the Cymbalta that I have already taken for a long time has changed my life.

Related Reading: suicide | Cymbalta

Comment from: Lady Bratt, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 26

I had maybe 6 days of a year that I did not have a migraine. Topamax gave me my life back so to speak. The memory loss and tingling sensation was something that was the hardest to compensate for while working in a professional environment. I found that taking Omega-3 and this sounds strange to some people but the old simon game because it helps work the three neuro pathways. All told it took about 6 months for me to finally feel human again. I still have to work hard to search for those missing words that "Dope-a-Max" brain tends to rob the brain of but in all it has helped me with my ADHD. I have learned just to slow down and think about what I want to say first then keep it short and sweet. Hard to tell from this but usefull information can be learned from these dicussions.

Related Reading: ADHD

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 24

I am using Topomax, 200mg once a day to treat Bipolar II. I also take an antidepressant along with it. It is working well. The only side effect is that sometimes I do have problems remembering a specific word I'm trying to say, but not frequently enough to be a problem. I have to have blood tests twice a yr to check for other side effects, and get yearly eye exams.

Comment from: topamaxfan, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 13

I was prescribed Topamax for peripheral neuropathy in feet due to type 2 diabetes. I had been avery heavy drinker for over 30 years and knew I had to slow way down or stop. After taking Topamax for 6 mos, I lost all craving for alcohol but can still drink like areasonable person,e.g., 2 glasses of wine instead of 2 bottles. It was a miracle for me and has lasted for over 6 years. Alas, it didn't do much for the neuropathy but, c'est la vie!

Related Reading: peripheral neuropathy | diabetes

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 06

This medication has changed my life! I began taking it for weight loss, but immediately noticed other things it was helping me with, I could actually walk into a store and not buy something, I can wear jewelry without feeling as if it is strangling me. The majority of my obsessive compulsive behaviors, as well as Manic behaviors are a thing of the past. Yes there have been side effects, and I have suffered from most of them but, they are well worth the benefits and they have diminished with time. Over the past 16 mos. I have lost around 60LBS. I love this drug!!!!!

Comment from: debm1343, on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 30

I use this medication for the severe debilitating pain associated with diabetic neuropathy. It has been extremely effective, however it does take some time to adjust to it. It caused me to be extremely sleepy at first, and somewhat confused. After a couple of weeks these side effects diminished. This medication has been far more effective than any other medication for the pain of neuropathy. An added benefit was that I lost weight, and my blood sugar levels were lower.

Related Reading: diabetic neuropathy

Epilepsy

Find tips and treatments to control seizures.