Toprol XL User Reviews

Toprol XL - User Reviews

Toprol XL User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Toprol XL sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: GM, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 23

I take only 25 mg of metoprolol, what my Dr. referred to as "a little candy dose," so I didn't check into it carefully enough. After one year I was going crazy wondering about this unusual weight gain around the middle, swelling feet, and a lot of joint pain (which made exercise, the real answer to most of these problems, much more difficult). After making lifestyle changes and still seeing no improvement suddenly it hit me--the ONE change in my lifestyle I hadn taken into account was the metoprolol. This is my third website, and now I see a pattern of wt. gain, swelling, and joint pain in some patients on this drug, so I am going to gradually come off the drug and see how I feel. The biggest issue to me is joint pain--becoming a sedentary, limping old lady before my time cannot be a healthy result of a medication--and there is no other reason my joint pain would have suddenly become severe, NONE. Nothing else changed. I'm so glad for the info on this website! I will report back after a couple of months off it.

Comment from: HerEntrprs, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 17

My personal opinion only, everyone has a choice. So to those of you who are having bothering side effects, I suggest you gradually take yourselves off this medication. To those who haven't started taking yet, DON'T. Too many side effects. I have decided to take my own advice and start treating my BP with diet and exercise. My DR. is too quick to prescribe meds when lifestyle change will probably be the ticket. You've heard the saying "Drugs Kill", I'm not willing to take the chance. Good Luck to each and everyone of you and happy exercising and healthy diet.

Comment from: jkondrath, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 27

This medication will leave you with little energy. Also, it makes you short of breath while working out. I would recommend something else to treat high blood pressure.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 12

I was diagnosed with high BP a year ago which was a complete surprise since I've always been very thin, healthy and reasonably active& only 38. I started taking generic metoprolol by Sandoz- and at first felt really good- it lowered my BP, plus completely eliminated headaches, chestpain& tightness. However, after 2 months I became extremely exhausted, I began having episodes of numbness& tingling in arms and legs at night and suddenly gained 10 pounds all around the middle. By month 10, I was waking up several times a night with my arms and legs heavy and numb. Finally I requested the Brand Name TOPROL XL. I've been taking it for 2 months and feel MUCH better. My energy is back, the numbness&tingling has decreased significantly, and hopefully now I will also start to get rid of that weight around the middle! It is my personal theory that perhaps the generic metoprolol released the dose too quickly, dropping my BP so much at night that my arms&legs "fell asleep" due to lack of circulation- sometimes my AM BP was 85/55. Then I'm thinking maybe my body released a bunch of cortisol to raise my BP again- which contributed to my weight gain around the middle. My doctor disagrees and suggested I see a neurologist. Is there any other MD out there who thinks I could be on the right track? I would suggest to anyone prescribed this med to first try the BRAND NAME TOPROL XL for at least 3 months to see how you react to it and what to expect before using a generic.

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 26

This drug was very effective at reducing my blood pressure but the side effects are numerous. Cold hands and feet, tingling sensations, crazy dreams, fatigue, dizzinous, and weight gain.....no thanks!

Comment from: debbie, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 02

I am finally down to 25mg a day...still have swollen toes, fingers, lips, tounge and burning throat. Loss of voice, hair, sleep... Dizzy, almost to fainting, weak, can't breath.I have asked several times to be taken off....just tapering off..is what my Dr is suggesting..I think this drug is bad. Also hallucinations, head ringing and hissing, confusion...and on and on

Related Reading: sleep | fainting

Comment from: KEEBIEMOM, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 31

HERE IT IS THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, AND MY LEG PAIN , TINGLING AND NUMBNESS HAS BEEN GETTING WORSE MAX DOSE 200MG WITH 3 OTHER PILLS!!! i CAN'T STAND THE PAIN. hANDS HAVE LOST SENSATION TOO. fORGET THE PILLS!!

Comment from: Reb, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 06

It was very effective in controlling blood pressure. However, after taking it for a time I began to experience pain and cramping in my hands, then lower back pain, then pain in my knee. I feel there is a relationship between the drug and inflamation of the joints.

Related Reading: lower back pain