Toprol XL User Reviews

Toprol XL - User Reviews

Toprol XL User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Toprol XL sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 11

I have been on the generic of this drug metropolol xl for several years now due to HBP. It has worked well for me but I have noticed a weight gain. No other serious side effects. The past few months as I refilled my prescription I noticed the pills were different each time. Also my BP would seem to be better on one form of the pill than it was the next month on a different form of the pill. At my physical the Dr. said there was a problem with the manufacturer and switched me to atenolol. Only been 4 days since the switch so am not sure of atenolol yet. Toprol worked well for me, wish there was no problem with the manufacturer.

Related Reading: atenolol

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 30

I have been taking Toprol XL 50 for 3 yrs. for pre-hypertension - 140/90. Now average 120/70. Switched to metoprolol generic recently, no differences noted. I love this stuff for the positive side effects: greatly reduced anxiety and I am not as quick to anger as before. In my profession I frequently speak before large audiences and occasionally do live or taped television interviews. With metoprolol my performance anxiety (stage fright) is now gone. I have not experienced any negative side effects from this medication.

Comment from: nyc412resident, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 25

I have found that the 25 mg 1x daily has lowered my bp. Any weight gain is due to my lack of exercise which I should be doing. I do feel tired, but I think that is due to the lack of exercise. I am wondering how many who wrote of feeling tired and low energy are overweight and do not do enough exercise-walking 3x week (I know, I just don't always do.). However, I have felt weak and lightheaded, but I wonder if it was caused by my eating foods that had sodium in it (visiting family & friends, eating what they eat; going out and eating in restaurants who salt the food even if you request that they don't). When I control my food preparation and use either no salt or low salt seasoning, my bp is fine. If I get adequate water that is important. I am trying to take my medication on time, do not drink any alcoholic beverages and cook with salt or with very low salt seasonings. I do some walking. I do have some numbness in my hands when I sleep on them-but I will pay attention to if it happens when I am not sleeping or lying on them. Sometimes I get a rebound headache-but again, I think that happens when I am not drinking enough water. If I am drinking water-not just liquids-I don't seem to have those problems. But all the comments are very helpful, and I can be on the lookout for things that may occur. Overall, I am satisfied with the way the medication works.

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: SISTER52, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 25

WHILE TAKING THIS MEDICATION IT CAUSED SHORTNESS OF BREATH, PAIN IN JOINTS AND MUSCLES, SEVERE TIREDNESS. AS I CONTINUED TO TAKE THE MEDICATION THESE SIDE EFFECTS GOT PROGRESSIVELY WORSE TO THE POINT I WAS SHORT OF BREATH AFTER TAKING A STEPS, HAD TROUBLE TRYING TO WALK UP AND DOWN THE STAIRS, SITTING DOWN OR GETTING UP, IT WAS VERY PAINFUL TO WALK. I WOULD NEVER TAKE THIS MEDICATION AGAIN.

Comment from: pj, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 13

I have taken Toprol for 2 years, since a triple bypass surgery in 2008. It manages my blood pressure extremely well and lowers my pulse which was typically around 100 and now stays around 70-80. It has also kept my PVCs in check. My doctor says no other medication can protect me like Toprol but it is causing me to lose my beautiful hair (I'm female and 62), which causes me great stress. I have lost a good 70% already. I also have experienced considerable cognitive decline and memory loss. I haven't gained weight but have not been able to lose a single pound although I have totally changed my diet and am restricted to a heart healthy, very low fat and cholesterol way of eating.

Related Reading: stress

Comment from: mamamia69, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 18

Long time user; 15 years. Excellent effectiveness, however the following side effects are causing me to wean very slowly off of it: Weight gain, sluggishness, extreme fatigue, metal cloudiness, morning cough.

Related Reading: cough

Comment from: grandmom, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 01

I used this medication for 10+ years and am very regretful. I have gained 50+ pounds, cannot loose weight. I watch my diet very carefully! I now have severe joint and muscle pain in additon to very severly swollen feet, legs, hands and abdomen. During this time I also developed a colon tumor. Where did that come from? Not hereditary in my family. A very bad medication, should be taken off the market. I am slowly coming off it, under my doctors direction (at my request). I have used both the name brand and the generic. Generic is much worse.

Related Reading: muscle pain | tumor