Trileptal User Reviews

Trileptal - User Reviews

Trileptal User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Trileptal sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 01

Bipolar - I took this med for one year with no blood testing. I started experiencing mixed symptoms and asked my doctor if my dosage might need to be adjusted. She then decided that my oxcarbazepine level should be checked along with my sodium. I was not even in the therapeutic range, so my dosage was increased. My sodium was only slightly low. A few weeks later my levels were checked again. I was at a low therapeutic level, but my sodium was also getting lower, so I remained on that dosage. 6 months later I had some routine blood work at my family physician's, because I had not been feeling well, flu-like symptoms that would not go away for about a month. Anyway, those labs showed my sodium level to be dangerously low (128) I let my psychiatrist know and she took me off the trileptal. I lost 7 pounds in the first 24 hours after stopping it. I had been retaining fluids causing my headaches, fatique, soreness and all the flu-like symptoms that I had. Now I am cycling between mania and depression, sometimes in the same day. I am starting Lamictal, but may not reach a therapeutic level for 6-8 weeks. If you take Trileptal make sure your doctor orders frequent labs, checking your oxcarbazepine level and sodium level. The sodium level is very important, if it drops to low, it can cause seizures, swelling of the brain, coma and even death.

Related Reading: flu | trileptal | depression

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: August 20

I have bipolar, and this is seriously the only med I've been on that hasn't had horrible side effects, and was also effective. I get very irritable/angry when manic, and very depressed during my lows, and without this drug I'm a mess. Plus I love that they have it in generic form. Only noticed minor fatigue when I first started it, and some acne when increasing the dose. Not a big deal though.

Related Reading: fatigue | acne

Comment from: jjr41ma@aol.com, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: September 23

Trileptal was presribed to my 9 year old son for a mood disoder and raging. It has made a significant improvement in his mood and raging.

Comment from: pdd, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 03

This is the only drug that I have used to treat bipolar disorder. I had been misdiagnosed as having severe depression prior to that. I have been taking it for at least 10 years with great success. My 14 year old son now also takes it with amazing results. Same drugs work well in same families. ALWAYS try that first.

Related Reading: bipolar disorder

Comment from: vlf1007aolcom, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 04

I have been on Trileptal for over a year, now, after having a bad experience with Depakote. I take Trileptal for mood stabilization. I tend to be somewhat bipolar and have anxiety with panic disorder. Although I suffer mostly from Major Recurrent Depression, I sometimes get swing into Manic Disorder. After taking the Trileptal, my mood leveled out dramatically. I have had little to no adverse reactions on Trileptal. Depakote caused constant nausea, and food and drink tasted very bad. After my doctor switched me to Trileptal, I regained my appetite, and food and liquids returned to their rightful taste. I love the effects I find in taking Trileptal.

Related Reading: Depakote | anxiety

Comment from: campgirl, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 24

I have been taking this med for about 2 years for mood stabilization of bipolar disorder with many depressive episodes. It really helped and made me feel normal. I was able to stop the antidepressant I was on and haven't had any symptoms of depression this winter. My psychiatrist only checked my sodium level twice during this time and it was low, but she was not concerned. On a regular yearly visit to my family doctor, she did routine blood work and found my sodium level to be extremely low, 129. My psychiatrist repeated the test and it was 128. She told me to stop taking it as the sodium level was too low and I could have seziures or go into a coma. It's very important to have your sodium level checked regularly if you take this med. I felt so good on it I am dreading not taking it and going back to the way I used to feel.

Related Reading: coma

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 13

Well, i was prescribed this medication 3 months ago for anger and irritability. It significantly decreased my anger and irritability and even helped with my depression. However, 3 months later i'm starting to notice some undesirable side effects. I have some hair loss. However, when i took the generic form it caused hair loss, but when I took the actual trileptal, the hair loss decreased. I haven't had any sexual side effects and i have actually lost 10 lbs since starting medication. It seems to take away my appetite. I take 1200 mg at night, which seems to cause lightheadedness. When i first began the medication i would actually feel drunk after taking it. With all this, I feel that i am somewhat satisfied.

Related Reading: hair loss | sexual

Epilepsy

Find tips and treatments to control seizures.