Tussionex User Reviews

Tussionex - User Reviews

Tussionex User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Tussionex sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: NYMom, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 14

The girls at the pharmacy told me this stuff was MUCH more effective than anything I could buy over the counter. They cautioned me if I had children at home to wait until bedtime to take it. I am glad my daughter is 16 and didn't need my full attention. It wiped me out, and I had trouble keeping my eyes open for more than ten minutes at a time. It is VERY strong, and stays in my system for at least the FULL twelve hours prescribed. Good stuff, but strong for me.

Comment from: jessienevins0314, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 11

Im not very happy with this medicine... Have had a chronic cough for months, and the doctor has given me this a few times. Dont really help.

Comment from: faithiesmom, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 29

I get bronchitis every year, and need a steroid or an inhaler or breathing treatments. This year i'd been coughing for 5 months nonstop. An ER dr prescribed this for me, after 1 dose, my cough almost stopped and after 2 doses....was gone. It got rid of all the congestion and i can finally sleep and stop coughing. Finally some help! I will request this for my next bout of coughing. Only side effect for me was sleepiness...but who cares!....im not coughing anymore!

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 10

I have suffered from severe asthma since I was a child. My asthma attacks usually turn into pneumonia. If I can catch it quickly with breathing treatments and Tussionex, I can avoid being admitted to the hospital. This medicine is a life saver. It immediately calms my coughing and allows me to get some rest. I have had no side effects and the taste is not bad at all. If you do not have insurance, it's very expensive. I highly recommend this cough syrup!

Published: May 21

I found this cough suppressant to be by far the most effective I've ever taken in my history of chronic bronchitis since I was a child. The downside was insomnia at times caused by a burst of energy versus relaxation and then when able to sleep; caused strange dreams. The cough is definitely suppressed, yet if a person has an addictive/dependent history, it would be best not to use it. It is surprisingly sweet and tasty as increases the odds of becoming dependent or taking more often than recommended. I urge others to be very careful with the doses and length of time using this "yummy" and effective product. Since it is expensive and a controlled substance, this is a great deterrent for those warned above. The dosage most certainly needs to be measured correctly and taken as directed. Good Health!

Related Reading: insomnia

Comment from: Optimism0412@aol.com, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 24

I have COPD and chronic bronchitis. This is the only cough preperation that has ever worked for me. It is a miracle in a bottle.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 12

Worked great for uncontrollable cough during bronchitis especially for night time.

Comment from: 65-74 (Patient) Published: February 06

I am 67 years old and have taken since I was about 14. About once a year I need it, and never need but a few doses. It is something that I try to introduce everyone too because it has been so great for me.

Comment from: dms743, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 11

I have been up with a nagging cough for 3 days. With just one dose of this wonderful syrup I was sleeping like a baby and not coughing. I remember having it several years ago, but didn't remember how quickly it worked on my symptoms.....literally in 2 hours I felt significantly better. I do,however remember the drowsiness and the high of the medicine. Trust me, if you've been up coughing for a few days, the drowsiness and ability to sleep through the night is welcomed. The high too---I'm not a drug-head by any stretch, but the high with the drug makes being sick a bit more tolerable. I LOVE TUSSIONEX!

Comment from: Texan, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 22

Although expensive, this is the ONLY highly effective cough med in my opinion. A few comments from my experience: 1) Ask you doc or pharmacist about using a syringe to measure your dose (no needle - just the plastic tube and plunger - they are cheap or even free). The dose is fairly small and the thick syrup is hard to measure properly. DON'T use a regular spoon. Even a dosing cup or test-tube style spoon is sketchy. With a syringe, you get a precise dose every time. It is easy to adjust if the standard dose is too much. If you want to take 4.5 mL instead of 5 mL for example, you can easily and reliably repeat that dose every time with a good syringe. 2) The syrup is thick - make sure you shake it REALLY well to get an accurate dose. It does no good to measure precisely if some of the drug has settled in the bottle. DON'T dilute it with anything “ this can affect the time-release and cause you trouble! 3) This time-released formula it won't "kick in” as fast as other hydrocodone drugs. Don't get impatient and take more - it works well over a full 12 hours. You may think that one dose isn't enough or maybe your medication is expired or something. This formulation takes a few hours (3 ½ I think) to reach full effect, but it lasts all night - important for a cough med. This is an EXCELLENT drug “ very safe and effective when used correctly. I like the fact that it doesn't contain acetaminophen as an abuse deterrent - this can be rough on your liver in larger doses and over time, so I tend to avoid it unless it is needed - acetaminophen doesn't help with your cough! If you have a history of dependency/addiction, you might want to ask about other options unless your cough is really serious. I find it easy to self-regulate and wean myself off if I feel I am becoming dependent. I encourage you to read all the “fine print” “ there's a lot of information that your doctor doesn't always have time to explain to you. Used properly you can't beat it!

Related Reading: liver