Venofer User Reviews

Venofer - User Reviews

Venofer User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Venofer sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: jackiesuern, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 06

I have been dx with severe iron deficiency anemia that has not responded to oral iron preparations. Over the past two years I have had six rounds (1 dose weekly for four weeks). Twenty-four iv's later I have finally gotten my ferritin levels in the low normals. My hgb levels and quality of rbc's is also rising. At the same time I was dx with an auto-immune disease (undifferentiated connective tissue disease). Between the two I have experienced severe fatigue. The venofer has helped alliviate some of the fatigue. It has also helped with the restless leg symptoms that often accompany severe iron deficiencies. venofer is not without side effects but if it helps my body make quality rbc's it is worth it.

Related Reading: iron deficiency | anemia | fatigue

Comment from: RITA, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 19

SO FAR, SO GREAT! VENOFER IS WORKING EXCELLENT! I CAN'T TAKE ORAL IRON. I TAKE 2 INFUSIONS TWICE A WEEK AS MY RED BLOOD ARE EXTREMELY!!! LOW. I HAVE NO ENERGYWHAT SO EVER, HAVE A TERRIBLE TIME BREATHING, SITTING DOWN IS OK, BUT WHEN I STAND UP I FEEL LIKE SOMEONE HAS PUT A BAG OVER MY HEAD. SO FAR I HAVE HAD 3 TREATMENTS AND THINGS SEEM TO BE IMPROVING. I AM SCHEDULED FOR 6 MORE!! I WOULD RECOMEND THIS TREATMENT TO ANYONE THAT CAN'T TAKE ORAL IRON. MINE IS INJECTED INTO THE VEIN AT A BLOOD DISORDER CLINIC AND TAKES ABOUT AN HOUR AND A HALF! NO COMPLAINTS SO FAR!

Related Reading: VENOFER

Comment from: blondemomins43, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 23

I have had 2 treatments so far for anemia. It has been relatively easy, takes about 1hour or so. I have 3 more treatments, then go get another blood test and see the hematologist. I'm hoping that this does the trick as I was allergic to InFed, and am unable to absorb oral iron. I have had a lot of symptoms previously, which have disappeared due to a blood transfusion I had about 4wks ago. I am anxious to see if this treatment continues to make symptoms dissapear, i was bothered by RLS, leg cramps, shortness of breath, palpitations, sore/sensitive tongue, cracks in lips, etc.. I am so glad to get a break from all that and am encouraged so far.

Related Reading: InFed | palpitations

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 25

I just had my 2nd treatment today. I have had zero side effects and actually have noticed more energy already. After being on oral iron medication for 1 year this has been easy.

Comment from: kwesson, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 21

I have very low ferritin levels. I have to take a total of 4 treatments of Venofer. I took my first one two days ago. The side effects were horrible! They gave me Bendaryl in my IV and I started to feel better. I was about to faint. My chest was crushing in. Next time, I'll get Benadryl before the treatment and hope that helps. It's just strange how I felt fine during the whole treatment and got VERY sick after I started walking around.

Related Reading: Benadryl

Comment from: Mizzy, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 07

I cannot take oral iron and have so far had two treatments with Venofer.The side effects were horrible the first time. Back pain, vomiting and nausea, drop in BP, extensive hives. But the send treatment was much better, since we were able to take care of the side effects. I find it more convenient and certainly less painful that getting iron IM. I have done my tests and will see my Hematologist next week. Hopefully I have improved. Hopefully I will only need a few more treatments.

Related Reading: hives

Comment from: MomofKate, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 17

I have had three bags of Venofer-administered IV at the hospital. The hardest part for me has been starting the IV and keeping a good vein. A fews days ago it took the nurse 3 times to run the bag. She stopped and started twice, the IV would start and she said the vein was going to blow. Unhook, poke me again, start over. This third bag was the first time I had other side effects. I have severe stomach cramps, lower right hand side, about 8 hours after the infusion, and they lasted about 6 hours. I had to take Perocet to get to sleep. I woke up 2 days later with a sever back ache and shortness of breath-my lungs hurt. It felt as if someone punched me in the back. Today-1 day later-it's totally gone. I don't feel more energy yet, but I know I will soon. People say it may take a few bags to feel a difference. I do know I CRAVED ice like a banjee-and I haven't chewed ice since the day after I got the first treatment! So-it is working!! My anemia is from gastric bypass surgery 4 years ago. Feel good friends :)