Venofer User Reviews

Venofer - User Reviews

Venofer User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Venofer sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 17

I just started my treatments, the first of eight. I was scared to death because I had read some real horror stories on internet about it. But I came thru with flying colors, No sickness, maybe some mild soreness in my joints but nothing bad. The whole treatment took about 15 minutes. Like I said it was my first treatment so I dont feel any different than yesterday but it wasn't half as bad as some people said. But I did notice I'm not craving my crushed Ice I ate ALL the time. Dont know if it has anything to do with it or not.

Comment from: LCS, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 30

I was going into Kidney failure due to a greatly enlarged prostate. After beginning to use a catheter, the kidneys have begun to recover. In the mean time my nephrologist got the Venofer treatments (3 total, 1 week apart) approved. I had no noticeable side effects after the first treatment. It was done at a local hospital in the cancer clinic where all types of IV treatments are carried out. I ate breakfast, then reported to the hospital at 7:30 a.m.. I was done before noon, including a lunch served about 11 a.m.

Related Reading: Kidney failure | cancer

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: July 27

Due to a malabsorption problem, I have been going to the hospital every 2 years, beginning in 2004. I have had anywhere from 4-10 treatments each time. Before Venofer was used, I did much better and felt better. Since Venofer has become the preferred drug, I have had numerous side effects, including having the "crash cart" team come in to save me. I am pretreated each time and generally spend the next few days recovering-until the next one. Overall, it has helped me, but I dread it when I start craving ice again because I know it's time. It also amazes me that so few general practitioners know very much about this process. I'm almost done for this time around. Yay!

Comment from: John, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 13

I'm in stage 3 CKD. So, my doctor put me on Venofer - which helped by takes a long time to administer. So I read about a drug called Feraheme (sp?) and my doctor was first hesitant, but decided to give it a try. After ONLY 2 treatments (yes - only 2 doctor visits - instead of 8-10) I was able to get my iron levels up and I feel better and don't have to go to the docotor as often. Would highly recommend that you talk to your doctor about it.

Related Reading: Feraheme

Comment from: vbarbara, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 08

I have been getting Venifor infusions for about two years every other month. At first ti was very difficult because my veins are too small to access. I now have a port and it has made all the difference. I feel lousy the first few days after an infusion but much better when it starts to take effect. It has been great for me and my cronic anemia.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 10

I had HgB of 8.2 and ferritin of 2 so I had about 9 venofer injections. The first few time it was fine, but then I experienced hives so with IV Benedryl we've been able to control the hives, but the IV is very time consuming now. Worked great to get my HgB and ferritin up, but 3 months later I've already lost enough iron that it's back to the IVs

Comment from: Jeannie, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 23

I had 5 treatments in April 08, then again in Nov.08, so far everything has went fine, feel a lot better, just wished the treatments lasted a little longer.

Comment from: kitty, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 27

I have a bleeding disorder, factor XI deffciancy, usually only a problem with surgery. Now I hane low levels in all my blood counts. Bone marrow biopsy showed no iron stores. I have had 2 infusions, a week apart. I feel sick, nausea, headache, loose stools for 5 days, start to feel ok and then infused again. Still need 2 more scheduled infusions and go from there. do know the side effects seemed worse the second time. Just have to wait and see, as far as cost, the hospital is working with me, no price on good health.

Comment from: shinein09, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 28

I have been receiving Venofer for almost 3 years now and in the past year I receive it once per week which has worked out much better for me since it keeps my iron levels such that I can have a better quality of life. Getting a smaller dose rather than the 8-hr bag is very helpful. I still get fatigued but my hemoglobin level stays around 10. This has worked fine for me but my veins seem to be hiding these days so it is harder for them to infuse.