Welchol User Reviews

Welchol - User Reviews

Welchol User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Welchol sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Bill, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 29

I was unable to tolerate statins; my Dr. prescribed welchol and the results have been good, lowering my total cholesterol level and LDL levels within normal range.

Related Reading: statins | welchol | cholesterol

Comment from: Jim, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 21

Male 73, 6 Tabs a day, six years, has worked for me. Low numbers and no problems. I was not able to handle statins.

Comment from: almostadoc, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 18

I must say I was a bit hesitant to take 6 pills. I am 31 and did not want to take a statin. I had an LDL of 165 (thanks mom and dad)and total cholesterol was 241. After 4 months on it my lipids were LDL = 74 and total Cholesterol = 185. I like to research meds too so, I know welchol could cause constipation but if you take it along with a meal and an 8oz drink it is not a problem. Also, it does not pass through my liver or kidneys because it does not enter the bloodstream so it CANNOT MEDICALLY cause muscle pain or cramps. Some people I talk with are side effect profile junkies. If it says it on the internet, they have that reaction from it. I am into safe medications and this by far is one of the safest medications you can take. Women can even take it during pregnancy. When my wife was pregnant she could hardly take any over the counter meds much less prescription meds. Oh well, sorry I went through all this but if you cannot tell I am in complete support of this medication and I have done my medical research. I hate to see all these negative comments about something that can really make a difference in your life medically. People are always more likely to voice complaints then compliments or satisfaction.

Related Reading: constipation | liver | muscle pain

Comment from: RCBlack01, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 08

Over the years, I have been treated with Mevacor, Lipitor, Niaspan/Red Yeast Rice and Zetia. All of these produced the same negative side effects -- progressively worsening muscle/nerve distress. My primary care physician finally prescribed Welchol, one (1) each 625mg tablet twice daily, in hopes that this non-statin pharmaceutical would not cause the muscle/nerve distress experienced previously. Wrong -- the exact same statin-based symptons reappeared, with only a marginal cholesterol improvement. On 09/22/08, I reluctantly agreed with my physician's recommendation to increase my daily Welchol dosage to 2500mg (4 tablets). I followed this regimin for three days and was forced to give it up. I have decided to discontinue the usage of all prescription medications, minerals and supplements while I detoxify my body. P.S. I have chronic age-related degenerative disk disease of the lumbar spine with the associated pain. The additional abdominal, leg and shoulder pain attributable to the cholesterol-lowering medications became overwhelming. The pain was worsening over time with no apparent end in sight.

Related Reading: Mevacor | Lipitor | Niaspan

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 12

My doctor took me off Zeita, after about 3 weeks on Welchol my joints ache just like statins. Plus this drug is very expensive for a senior citizen.

Published: February 08

Welchol was prescribed for me not to lower cholesterol, but to treat the constant diarrhea that plagued me for years after my gall bladder surgery. After a few month of regular use, I only take it as needed now for occasional flare-ups. It has helped me tremendously

Related Reading: diarrhea

Comment from: P. Grya, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 07

My Dr. prescribed this to me, not for high colesterol, but I have gastricparsis, and this helps with the constant direaha.

Comment from: plc, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 19

I could not take most cholesterol lowering drugs due to muscle pain. I started taking WelChol about 6 months ago because my Dr. told me that WelChol worked in the gut, and very rarely had muscle pain side effects. I started having muscle pain, but because I'm heavy I figured the pain in my legs, knees, etc. was from being overweight. I didn't put two and two together. Duh. Recently I decided to look on the net for the side effects of WelChol and saw that muscle pain is one of the side effects for a certain percentage of people. So, I stopped taking the WelChol and now after a week, the pain is nearly all gone!! It's like a miracle. Now I can take my dog on walks and get things done. I had started feeling like an old lady. I am middle aged...but not old! It was depressing. I don't think the medication is worth it. If I can't exercise because of pain, how ridiculous is that?!

Cholesterol Management

Tips to keep it under control.