Welchol User Reviews

Welchol - User Reviews

Welchol User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Welchol sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Travlin-easy, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 31

I've been on this drug for nearly a month, the side effects have been horrible at best. Bloating, large stools, discolored stools, muscle pain, muscle weakness and severe shortness of breath, just to name the most prevalent. My last cholesterol check put it at 227, which is much lower than it was when I had a heart attack in early August of 2009. I cannot take statins, and from my personal research and 15 years experience working in cardio-pulmonary medicine I'm thoroughly convinced cholesterol has little or nothing to do with coronary artery disease. Consequently, when I next visit my cardiologist and he tells me my cholesterol is too high, I'll tell him I don't give a damn. If he want to argue the point, I'll fire him! I'm 69 years old, 6 feet tall, male, weigh 204 and still working 4 to 6 days a week. I didn't have any problems until I started taking cholesterol lowering drugs. And, I sincerely believe that taking these drugs will not make me live one day longer. It took 69 years of hard living to plug two small areas of my left anterior descending coronary artery by 85 percent. A pair of stents now hold those areas open. Does anyone believe for one minute that any of these drugs will make them live longer? Sorry about the rant. Just tired of doctors who don't seem to have a lick of common sense and want to push pills.

Related Reading: heart attack

Comment from: Wolfdog820, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 24

I've been very pleased with this medication. My cholesterol has gone done, my bowel movements, which use to be loose and hard to control, have improved, and I've lost 16 pounds. I've been using it for about 4-5 months. My doctor said it is full of fiber so taking it 30 minutes before a meal helps fill me up and helps control my portions. Also, due to the fiber filled pills, my bowel movements are now firm and I don't have to rush to the bathroom like a madwoman. It's a triple benefit! Five stars all they way!

Comment from: virgie, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 07

After 7 days I am getting pain across my back between my shoulder blades.

Comment from: lulu, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 13

Started Welchol in December of 08. Within 3 weeks my sole of my feet were killing me. It's a burning pain that won't go away. I have to wear Crocs all day. I have to wear slip on rubber soled shoes to walk. I no longer can wear sneakers. The medicine only brought my cholesterol( it was 434) down to 424. Hardly worth all the pains in my legs, back knees, the constipation and wakeful nights. Get real!! This medicine is no different than the statins. The drug companies are using us for experimentation. I stopped taking it to see if my symptoms will stop.

Comment from: nanaradley, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 08

I just started taking this drug about one month and I have had muscle pain and tiredness.

Comment from: Texas Sam, 65-74 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 20

I was on it for 6 monthsand now stopped on my own. First it was pain in upper back, hard time swallowing and then threwing up after taking the 2 pills with my dinner meal. Had to go on medicine to have bowel movement. The last straw was the cramps in my hands and legs. I think this is a dangerous drug!!

Comment from: Mack, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 16

Been taking for two months, cholesterol dropped 30 points. No side effect. Had been taking a statin, was miserable on it. This is easy. Take three in the morning and three at dinner time.

Comment from: Judy E, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 30

Took for day and 1/2 experienced what seemed to be high blood pressure headache Woke me up in the night with headache unable to return to sleep. Had to take blood pressure medication to finally control it. Also began having muscle pain in legs and back.

Related Reading: high blood pressure | headache | sleep

Comment from: Jim M, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 14

Can't take stains and with Welchol I have lost strength in muscles, difficulty walking, balance and dizziness. Also have severs shoulder joint pain and neuropothy in legs. Reading the comments here plus other research I am stopping taking Welchol Chloresteral is 222 and ratios and good chl are excellent. Welchole is just not woth the side effects. Am now taking CoQ10, Fish Oil, and had already made a life style diet change to lower chlor, plus exercise If that's not good enough it'll just have to do as I've had it with the meds. The prescription shouldn't be worse than the ailment!! Appreciate all of your comments folks. Good to know that I'm not totally crazy after all and that others have experienced the similar effects. My cardiologists is going to be pissed but at 67 I can deal with that and/or fire him. My health has gone downhill since on this med and I'm getting it back..Good luck all

Related Reading: dizziness

Cholesterol Management

Tips to keep it under control.