Welchol User Reviews

Welchol - User Reviews

Welchol User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Welchol sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Lexi's Grammy, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 08

I am a 57 year old female. For the past few years I have been taking 3 pills at nite. I have been suffering from intestinal spasms for the past 2 years and have had a battery of tests twice, with negative results. In the past 6 months I have gone from 3 to 6 pills per day, and have now had stomach pains to go along with the spasms. I just completed the second round of tests. I have just found out the other day that Welchol should be taken 4 hours apart from any other medication and it really does work. No more stomach pains, and we will see about the spasms.

Comment from: Dorothy, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 13

I am a 56 year old woman taking Welchol for high chloesterol/LDL. After taking 2 pills a day, experienced low blood sugar symptoms that really scared me. Stopped taking it for a couple of days because it scared me so bad. Started taking 1 pill a day when my doctor's nurse assured me the low blood sugar symptoms wasn't from taking Welchol. After only a couple of days of taking only 1 pill a day, experienced muscle and head pain, gas, feeling weak/sleepy, cough, blurry vision, and flu-like symptoms. Life's too short to be feeling bad from a medicine that's suppose to help me feel better. It may help others for their health issues, but it isn't for me.

Related Reading: cough | flu

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 05

I can't take statins because of muscle cramping. Been on Welchol before and quit because of the intestinal discomfort. Doctor wanted me back on it as LDL levels were too high. Still having constipation and cramping and am not up to the full 6 pill a day dose. I really hate this stuff and doubt if I will stay on it for very long.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 19

I just switched from Zetia and am allergic to crestor, I was wondering about the side effects? Are there any that anyone else is seeing?

Related Reading: Zetia | crestor

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 12

Good grief. I actually lived through the three days of taking ONE a day. I am unable to take statins so doc tried this. Had neurologic problems including leg weakness and cramping and neck and eye movement difficulty. (I have invisible MS. The Welchol highly intensified my neurologic problems.) As one with extremely rare SVT runs, I experienced this, as well. (I had also had soy sauce which probably intensified the runs.) The on call nurse told me to go into ER, however, I had recalled that I had started the Welchol and stuck it out until it subsided this morning. I cannot believe there is such a shortage of easy-to-tolerate, effective drugs out there for elevated cholesterol! I am a 57 y/o female and petite at 130 and am a stroke/heart attack waiting to happen.

Related Reading: stroke

Comment from: 75 or over on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 01

I seldom had heartburn until I started taking Welchol 2 tabs a day and Rowasa 4 capsules a day (Omega 30. I can't take statins. Been the route wiht Questran which I am sure caused hair loss, Zocor, Crestor which caused muscle pain in shoulders and arms. Started on Welchol 2 years ago and I am still not happy with the side effects. I also have large stools and flatulence. My Colonoscopy was normal except for diverticulosis. I just don't feel comfortable taking this med so I am going to tell the doctor I can't handle it anymore. I was happy to have daily bm's but never constant. I can't say I have experienced any muscle pain except for leg cramps at night on occasion. I am 75. There has to be a supplement in a health store that would work. I just don't like the heartburn because I feel it could cause other esophageal problems. My tests are still high and I walk for exercise.

Related Reading: heartburn | Rowasa | Questran

Comment from: MCP, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 04

I have been taking WelChol for 5 months now. I have found it to be very effective at 6 pills a day. Total cholesterol went from 226 to 189, LDL from 159 to 115. Worst problem is the constipation. I have to take 6 stool softeners and Benefiber to keep things moving. It might be a pain in the butt, but it works.

Cholesterol Management

Tips to keep it under control.