Wellbutrin XL User Reviews

Wellbutrin XL - User Reviews

Wellbutrin XL User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Wellbutrin XL sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: hope, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 10

It is not a happy pill. It does curb depression and make life more manageable. I tried to get off of it twice, thinking I did not have depression anymore, but I do, and always will. I am a generally happy person, and work on a lot of projects. I can see the glass half full or half empty. WellbutrinXL oral helps me see the glass half full. I have tried several other anti-depressants, including one that is supposed to help for chronic pain. That one had too many sexual side effects. The other one had a weight gain factor. One of them made me MORE depressed. One made me tired. WellbutrinXL oral allowed me to have energy, lose a small amount of weight, I had no sexual side effects, and was able to wake up in the morning. It gave me more energy than the rest of them. I am very happy with it, and would recommend it to a friend. I even heard it helps people quit smoking.

Related Reading: chronic pain | sexual

Comment from: abirata, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: June 15

Wellbutrin had side effects at the beginning - the worst of which were insomnia and constipation. The insomnia abated after about 3 weeks of treatment and I take a fiber supplement to deal with the constipation. It also abates with time but never completely goes away. Another side effect at firt was a general "hyper" feeling but that also wore off after a few weeks. Unlike the SSRIs, Wellbutrin does not make me feel "drugged” - I feel emotions, good and bad - but the difference I notice while taking the drug is that I tend not to brood or obsess over negative events or ideas, it is easier to let them pass. I think it has also made me more able to open up to talking about my situation because I don't think I have to reign in my “bad” emotions so tightly as I don't fear them getting out of control. It is easier to work through them, and talk about them. Wellbutrin by itself is a great help, but by far the most effective treatment for me has been talk therapy. Depression runs in the family. I did not start seeking treatment until age 27 when it became overwhelming and was affecting my work and relationships. The first course of treatment my physician prescribed were SSRIs (Paxil, Prozac and Zoloft), but I could not tolerate the side effects nausea and drowsiness, but the worst, that although my depression was dampened, so were all my emotions. These side effects never abated. I became even more distant from people I loved and could not function effectively at work because it was difficult to concentrate. I had great doubts about all of the anti-depressants after those experiences, and am skeptical of drug claims and the pharmaceutical industry in general but have to admit that Wellbutrin has been very effective. I know that SSRIs are very effective for many people - I just wanted to share that portion of my experience because I believed that because they did not work for me, nothing would. I am glad to be proven wrong.

Related Reading: Wellbutrin | insomnia | constipation

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 20

Worked well for the depression, but caused anxiety, headaches, and insomnia. I lost quite a bit of weight on this drug and had no sexual side effects.

Comment from: medwisegirl, 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 21

Wellbutrin has been great for me. All I wanted to do before taking this was sleep, and when I was up I was grouchy and irritated. I actually like getting up in the morning and enjoy my day. Everyone around me is much happier as well. I tried Cymbalta first and it didn't fit my specific needs, and in fact worsened my depression. There are different medicines for different types of depression. Wellbutrin works on the neurotransmitter dopamine. Dopamine is for motivation and acivating the reward center in the brain. I wouldn't discourage or encourage the use of this drug. It's your doctors job, depending on your depression symptoms, to match you with the best medicine for you. You need not listen to people that say not to try it, everyone is different. This medicine may or may not work for you. Treating depression is not an exact science, due to our lack of knowledge about the brain. Finding the right depression medicine will take trial and error, which can be very frustrating. Stick with it and you will find a medicine that works for you.

Related Reading: Cymbalta | dopamine

Comment from: Dee, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 12

My depression was triggered by my brothers suicide & moms cancer diagnosis(both within 2007.) I have been trying to find somthing to just get me through this time so I can be sane for my family- not to pretend it is not there. I am on my second month on Welbutrin. It took at least a month to kick in. I was irritated easily for the first few weeks, but that went away a few weeks ago. I have lost just a few pounds and I do not feel like a flat line like I did on Lexapro. My sex drive is also still intact, thank God! The only downfall is that every night I get nausea, wich is why for me, it is not easy to use. My doc says to wait it out a few more weeks and make sure to take it every MORNING (I work nights so I took it later) I tried to have two drinks one night, and almost vomitted. I also got airsick for the first time. But I laugh again, and I am ready to be there for my mom now, who will be undergoing a stem-cell transplant soon. The stress is not gone- but I can at least handle it better now.My husband and mom both need me too much for me to wallow in misery all the time. If only I could get rid of the damn nausea! Oh yea, my husband said he noticed my memory has been better. I used to think depression was somthing you could talk yourself out of. Somtimes you have nothing left to give, and that is when it is time to see a doc or counseling to search what is right for you. I hope this helped someone because alot of the others helped me. Good luck!

Related Reading: cancer | Lexapro | stress