Wellbutrin XL User Reviews

Wellbutrin XL - User Reviews

Wellbutrin XL User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Wellbutrin XL sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Michelle123563, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 24

This is the first anti-depressant I have ever taken. It has worked very well. Not only do I feel much happier, I have more energy too. Plus I lost 20lbs. I don't think the Wellbutrin directly caused the weight loss, but I think it gave me more energy and more of a desire to do things, which caused the weight loss

Comment from: Cadiac/Open Heart RN, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: October 15

I took it for anxiety and to quit smoking. After smoking for 18 years...I quit. Yes, it did cause some nausea at first...however you must eat when taking this medication. Take with meals. Also, don't give up. It also has a side effect which decreases hunger. I lost weight after quitting smoking...about 10 lbs. I was scared after quitting smoking I would gain. I didn't I lost. This medication is a wonder drug. It is rough in the begining as your body adjust. It's not fun but give it time the side effects will go away and it is effective overall. I really support the use of this drug. I am an RN and also think if this drug does not help with smoking cessation try Chantix. I am an Open Heart Nurse and we have had great success with our patients on Chantix.

Related Reading: Chantix

Comment from: Diane 49, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 02

I took Wellbutrin originally to quit smoking (after 35 yrs.) It worked and I haven't smoked in almost 3 yrs. I noticed after a month or so on the drug that I was smiling and laughing more. Who knew I was depressed? Not me! Now I'm an ex-smoker and not depressed anymore. Life is good.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 20

This drug has helped me a lot. I have found though that over time it is not as effective as when I first started taking it. A plus to it is when I first started taking it I was able to lose a lot of weight because of lack of cravings.

Comment from: D1, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 20

it's the best antidepressant med out on the market...the only downfall is that it's costly & the generic form is far worse than not being on any medication at all. The generic form has an opposite effect - mood swings, sensitive, crying spells, etc.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 23

No antidepressant totally alleviates all symptoms of depression. However, Wellbutrin has the least side effects, and I don't feel like I'm taking an antidepressant. I simply feel the absence of the extremely depressed feelings. Yes... the things that bothered me before are still present in my mind, but I am able to live with them and put them into a more healthy perspective. Plus, I can enjoy life regardless of its ups and downs. Now, to me ... THAT'S living!

Comment from: sara, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 21

Stimulants for Adult ADD did not work for me. Although I occaisionally feel agitated on this medication I found that it gives that "motivation in a pill" effect I've been hoping for. It has also helped me to stop smoking. It is very nice to wake up and have the motivation to do the dishes and clean up and feed my son a healthy breakfst instead of laying around on the couch or smoking a cigarette first thing. I felt that it gave me an "attitude problem" when i was first given this medication for depression, but coupled with Effexor it is a dream come true for my ADHD symptoms. While on this medication my migrane headaches have gone away COMPLETELY and my overall blood pressure has lowered. My work has been more satisfying and less of a burden and it is easier to wake up at an ungodly hour to be there. I was also a habitual user of pot before starting this medication and have stopped smoking pot and cigaretters almost effortlessly.

Related Reading: ADHD

Comment from: concerned patient from Birmingham, 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: May 02

I have been on Wellbutrin XL for almost 5 years and in the last 3 years I have had to switch to the Bupropion XL. The wellbutrin itself worked great, I had loads of energy and did not experience any of the side effects. However, since I've switched to the buprpion,(due to insurance prefering everyone use Generic),I have tried 3 other antidepressants to try to help with the side effects. My mood has changed dramatically for the worse, no energy, headaches or migraines at least 3 times a week, have not even wanted to quit smoking, and now I am at the point of just staying alone, not want to join in family functions or talk to my closest friends. I highly recommend that anyone taking Bupropion XL talk to their physician about writing a letter of referal for the name brand Wellbutrin XL to the insurance company because the Generic is not the same and does not have the equality as the Wellbutrin.

Related Reading: Wellbutrin XL | antidepressants