Wellbutrin User Reviews

Wellbutrin - User Reviews

Wellbutrin User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Wellbutrin sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: cravingchaos, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 01

Wellbuprin has helped my depression more than other antidepressants, but I'm still moderately depressed. However, it has not caused any weight gain. In fact, I've lost 20 pounds that I gained on other antidepressants. Also, it has the complete opposite effect on my libido than other antidepressants. It actually enhances my sex drive.

Comment from: DontNo2Much, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 12

I had been taking Wellbutrin for a few weeks (maybe about 6)and I was feeling good, looking good, doing good, everything was GREAT. I was taking (at first) 1-150mg AM, I has relayed to my doctor that I really really needed to quit smoking, so he says "ok!", "lets up your dose to 1-150mg AM and then 1-150 at noon. (For a few days, he says.) 4 or 5 days later, I went to 300mg AM and 150 at noon. I carried on (with life) as if nothing was happening. Then about 2 maybe 2 1/2 months into the 450mg daily, I woke up one day and started doing my 'honey do's (like always), but this time, i noticed it was almost noon and I hadn't lit a cigarette all day! Well dam, (i'm thinking) I haven't even wanted one all day. I didn't quit all at once. I went from a pack a day to 1/2 pack. THAT DAY. stayed with 1/2 pack for about a week. Maybe. From there, i went from 1/2pack 10 a day to 8 and then 7. From 7 to 5, then down to 4 a day. I kinda go stuck of 3 for a few more days than i thought I would but, i climbed the hill anyways and i was now at two a day. For a few days. And then 1. a day. For a few days. Then finally, I had one last cigarette in my car and i smoked it maybe 1/2 down,...and pitched it out the window. From day one until I lit my last one was about 4 weeks. But it wasn't the nicotine i was having to break myself from. The Wellbutrin had completely removed all urges and cravings for nicotine. The hardest part with stopping to smoke with Wellbutrin,was the 'breaking' of my old habits. I was well on my way of ridding myself of smoking, My only obstacle was "what to do with my hands???" For so long, if i got on the phone, lite it up. ON the computer, lite it up. Driving down the road in my car,...lite it up. sitting on the front deck, watch the birds fly by,...lite it up! But after I got past all that 'easy' stuff, i was and AM on my way to a much healthier body. For my Grandchildren sake. It's been 5 months this past March 5th. I'm really, really proud of myself.

Related Reading: smoking | nicotine

Comment from: me27513, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: February 10

Why do docs use only one drug at a time? After 20 years of experimenting with SSRIs, I have an almost ideal combo of Wellbutrin XL (generic) 150 mg each morning PLUS Lexapro 10 mg each night. Wellbutrin made me hyper at first, so I lowered the dosage. It has no negative sexual side effects, so it balances Lexapro nicely (in fact, it has the opposite effect). No weight gain, late-night munchies, sleeping all the time. It's truly different from all the rest. Effexor was awful, Paxil made me fat, Zoloft made me sleepy, Prozac made me nuts, and none of those helped my depression. Wellbutrin saved me, and its generics are so much cheaper than the alternatives. If you're not doing well with the standard Rx, try this...it's truly different, and ask your doc about combining meds.

Related Reading: sexual | Effexor | Prozac

Published: September 26

I was able to stop smoking withing four weeks of taking the drug. It suppresses appetite, so weight gain has not been an issue. I have not craved a cigarette since I quit!

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 24

I started taking Wellbutrin after a year of being on Lexepro. And WOW!! What a difference! On Lexepro: weight gain, no sex drive, horrible mood swings, zombie like state, felt out of control constantly. On Wellbutrin: I FEEL GREAT! The only negative side effect is difficulty falling asleep. Which isn't all that bad considering all I wanted to do on Lexepro was sleep all the time. I'm glad I switched to Wellbutrin.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 09

I have struggled with depression my whole life and I am not 34. I have been one-and-off meds since 2000. In April 2007 I went back on the meds again. This time it was Zoloft, which made me feel terrific when it kicked in, but I gradually needed more and more until I (at 110 lbs) was at the maximum dosage of 200mg generic Zoloft (sertraline) by September 2007. So my psychiatrist added Wellbutrin, which seemed to help. Honestly, as someone who actually works as a license adolescent therapist and has a lot of experience with my own and treating depression.... the cycle never ends. You spend your whole life switching meds, gradually going off the meds, changing meds, and starting meds over. The best thing you can do is read a lot of books about depression and figure out what contributes to your depression. For me, I grew up with an alcoholic parents and basically walked on egg shells. You never knew if you'd be yanked out of bed by your hair in the middle of the night to wash dishes, you could never have a friend over and no matter what you did it was wrong. Research shows this actually interferes with your brain development and contributes to depression. Today, I have a busy career and I have to monitor how much I take on or I get angry and obsessive along with the depression. I can also say you need to marry someone who understands depression and is NOT depressed themselves. The spouse needs to be supportive and you need to have rules. One of our rules is that my husband will never walk away from me (because it sends me into a depressive rage). My husband also realizes that sometimes I say mean and nasty things to him that I would never say if I weren't having a depressive angry moment. It's hard. We have a toddler and my husband is an at home dad. We love our daughter and want her to have a parents at home, but it can't be me with my depression. My husband being at home help lessen my depression because it's less home-management for me. shannan2008@yahoo.com

Related Reading: Zoloft