Xanax User Reviews

Xanax - User Reviews

Xanax User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Xanax sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 20

While highly addictive I still think it's good results outweigh it's bad on me. In a sense, it is a magic pill for me as I know that if I take one as soon as the panic starts to rise I will only have to wait 25 to 35 minutes for the medication to start working. This has allowed me to leave my home, to drive, to go hiking, etc... In other words it has given me my life back. I do not take it 3 times a day. I only take it when I am confronted with a panic attack or severe anxiety. This way prevents me from getting addicted which would be very easy, believe me. You do get that alcohol-like buzz from xanax, at least I do anyway. If your doctor won't prescibe this for you then you need a new doctor. I suffered for years for nothing other than the notion my doctor had in believing I would become addicted. What's worse though? Going through the hell of panic attacks or being addicted to a drug that stops them? Again, I don't take them unless I need them but when I do it works. This has been my experience - yours may vary.

Comment from: FAITH, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 28

I have been taking xanax for 8 years.I can not take antidepressants and I have severe social anxiety disorder..I take one and a half of 1mg.every day. Half in the morning and a whole about 4hours later. I NEVER take more than that..Around 8 or 9pm I take 2 tylenol pms to sleep and help with anxiety and that gets me through until time for the xanax. PLEASE BE CAREFUL TAKING THIS MEDICINE...Like another person said it is a miracle drug IF you dont abuse it and IF you do it truly is THE SEED OF SATAN....I know a woman that pretty much ate them and then one day she killed herself...I truly believe it was her addiction to the xanax...The least you can get by with the better but UNFORUNATELY at any dosage IT IS ADDICTIVE....I can not function without it....Oh how I wish I could!!!! GOD BLESS YOU ALL AND PLEASE JUST BE MATURE AND SAFE WHEN USING THIS MED....

Related Reading: antidepressants | tylenol

Comment from: Katrina, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 31

I took Xanax for almost six years to treat panic disorder. I typically took .25-.50mg a day and funtioned pretty well at this dose. I was still having problems with depression, though, and went to see a psychiatrist who upped my dosage to 1mg. I thought I had hit the Xanax lottery! Unfortunately, with my history of alcoholism, this proved to be very dangerous. I almost died this summer when I mixed the Xanax with vodka and diphenhydramine (Benadryl). I had to be hospitalized for 4 days and under 24 hour care to be weened off this drug. Since stopping it, I have found that I actually have LESS anxiety then when I was on it. After a while, you start to have a roller coaster effect with your anxiety levels getting higher and higher without the drug in your system, so you take more to knock down the anxiety. I think more clearly than I have in years since I stopped taking it,and I no longer suffer severe blackouts and dangerous loss of inhibition when I drink. Be very careful with this drug if you are a drinker. It's not worth losing your life over.

Related Reading: alcoholism | Benadryl

Comment from: 87_blueangel, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: February 03

I started having panic attacks at age 20 (although I didn't know that is what they were. All I knew that even when I was completely happy and relaxed, reading a good book or listening to music, my heart would start racing and I would be gulping for oxygen. As time passed, the attacks became more frequent and more severe. Many times I called for an ambulance because I was sure I was having a heart attack. I continually went to family doctors and they provided no advice. Never thought of going to a psychiatrist. Since the general M.D.'s offered no help, ended up self medicating with alcohol. Which only made matters worse. I got very lucky and ran across an ad looking for volunteers suffering from anxiety to try a new medication. After months of testing, the new medication did nothing for me. The psychiatrist running the test, gave me a book to read about anxiety w/ panic attacks, and put me on Xanax. Wow! I have taken it for about 25 years. Quit drinking because I no longer needed to try to heal myself. I was amazed to find out that people become addicted to it. To me it was no more than taking a vitamin pill. Didn't make me feel drozy or anything, just stopped the constant flow of adrenelin. Saved my life.

Related Reading: heart attack

Comment from: HappyinOK, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: April 25

I have used Xanax for 17 years now. In the beginning I was on daily doses for uncontrolled anxiety and severe panic attacks. Over the years I have cycled from major symptoms to periods of time where my condition was well controlled. I have had no issue with addiction and will go many months at a time without having a need for Xanax. This is one of the medications that truly saved my life. As with any medication, EDUCATE YOURSELF and use as prescribed.

Comment from: mr.smith, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: February 16

I've been taking this medication for 24 years now. My first bout with panic disorder was in the military many years ago. They had no idea what I had, so I turned to alcohol (just for attacks). When I returned to the USA, a doctor put me on Valium. Hated Valium. Then came Xanax, and I was able to live again. I was prescribed 2mg 3x a day which I took for a few years with absolutely no side affects at all. I read about it's addictivity, so I experimented myself and actually have taken myself off a few times, but the panic attacks resume within days. I have personally reduced my dosage between 3 to 4 mg per day and that seems to be the perfect combo for me. Never drowsy, eat well, sleep well and has allowed me to run a couple of successful businesses. I truly believe that there are certain drugs that completely take care of a problem with some people and do not do so with other. You have to find what works for you, simple as that. This medication has allowed me to live a normal life, be successful and even fly and drive cross country etc.

Related Reading: Valium