Xifaxan User Reviews

Xifaxan - User Reviews

Xifaxan User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Xifaxan sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: profxena, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 13

This is the only drug that has helped my IBS. I would have no life without taking it daily.

Comment from: Stevie B., 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 29

So I have to say, this so far has helped big time. My body had more bad bacteria VS good so the doc put me on the 550Mg at 3 pills per day rather then the 2 as prescribed. The only side effect on the listed side effects is a little gassy but there was also one that is not on the list. Within the first week of taking it I started going to the bathroom regularly for once but noticed an itchiness of my sphincter. A constraint itch. a good scrubbing with a wash cloth in the shower and Zinc applied daily and its not been unbearable but it is rather annoying to have to apply it after going to the bathroom 2-3 times each day. Other then that I am completing my prescribed dose today and I hope to not have to come back to it being such an expensive prescription. My issue with my Doc with on my follow up will be expressed is that there is no diet or food avoidances while taking this. My gas side effect only came about when eating certain foods, like garlic powder and onions. I now know that this issue can be resolved by eating healthier, mix in some yogurt and or a pro-biotic to my everyday routine and not allow the bad to out weight the good balance. also a good thing to do as well is to wash your hands more often then not, the hand sanitizers only do so much and tend to leave a sticky and or smelly hands... hope all else who have to take this drug have good luck with it and that it takes care of you issues.

Comment from: loanna, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: May 27

i was given this as a treatment for IBS . I had continued classic ibs symptoms for 8 yrs at least, then read Cedar Sinai protacol and my doctor and I tried it. Incredable over a period of a few weeks and over the last two years I have not had symptoms. changed my life

Comment from: Tv, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 09

Have situational IBS Due to depression/anxiety. Rapid food digestion which has caused Bloating, cramps, pain and gas. Worst feeling ever. Put on 300mg of xifaxan 2x/day. Life changing... What an amazing drug. Doc recently increased dose due to circumstances. Take 550mg 2x daily. Been on almost 4 years.

Related Reading: depression | anxiety

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 16

had IBS so severe my guts ached all the way up to my rib cage. 10 days of this drug cramped me up.......but bloating and pain were gone. now take 1 to 2 pills at first sign of discomfort and thats usually all it takes. This drug is a life changer.

Comment from: Katina, 13-18 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 21

I took this medication at 550 mg, 2x a day. I've been struggling with digestive problems for almost three years now, and this is the first medication that hasn't just been something to ease symptoms. As soon as I tested positive for Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth, my doctor had me on this. Within days, the bloating, gas and cramping eased, and my other GI problems started to dissipate as well. I'm very glad I found this drug. My only problem with it is that it's not a one time fix; while it will kill the bacteria for now, as soon as the bacteria regrows, as it will do with SIBO, I need to restart taking the medication. I don't mind taking the medication, because it actually provides relief, it's just a hassle.

Comment from: jetta, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 20

I have been able to eat without worrying about stomach upset and contant gas without control. My energy level is up and I feel better overall.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 06

I started out having my gall bladder removed. Then the pain continued. I took the breathing test and it was positive for bacteria. I started Xifaxan, within 2 days I felt better, then the cramping started. I read the side effects and realized they were the same pains in the gut area as the condition I had. Some other side effects I had were chest pains and vivid dreams. I continued with the med and lived through the stomach cramping for about 3 days after the med was discontinued. Now I feel great. No more pain and I actucally feel hunger pangs and not abdominal pain. After over a year of having stomach pain I wasn't sure if I was hungery or feeling pain. Now I'm sure and I'm feeling good again. Hope this bacteria doesn't come back. :o)

Related Reading: abdominal pain

Comment from: 75 or over on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 27

For three weeks I have been experiencing loose stools. I have taken this product for the last 5 days and the symptoms have not changed.