Xifaxan User Reviews

Xifaxan - User Reviews

Xifaxan User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Xifaxan sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 07

I'm shocked at all the great ratings! At age 25, I had a stomach virus that lasted about 2 weeks. A GI specialist gave me free samples of this drug. My symptoms became worse and continued another few weeks. I became lactose intolerant, seemingly overnight. I stopped treatment and saw the GI Dr. again, who diagnosed me with IBS. All this happened in a matter of weeks. I suffered horribly with IBS for 6 months, to the point where I wanted to be put on anti-anxiety meds (I had previously been a very healthy young adult). Then I started taking Align over the counter (probiotics). I'm no doctor myself, but this is a serious drug and should only be taken for serious illness. I believe the drug killed even the good bacteria in my intestines, causing the IBS. Only a year and a half of Align has me feeling almost normal again. Please talk to your doctor about possible side effects before taking this drug!

Comment from: dede, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 01

My GI doc put me on Xifaxan 550 mg, 3 times a day for 4 weeks for my IBS bloating and constipation? After 3 weeks I stopped the medication. I now have severe Candida in the mouth, esophgus and who knows were else. I am still bloated for last 6 weeks only eating liquids. I hope the amount of medication the GI doc gave me will not cause additional symptoms. She wanted me to take this amount for four weeks. I can barely swallow and burn all down my throat to my stomach. After 12 ER visits for bloating cramping, dehydration, by GI doc has given up on me after 10 years. Do you have any ideas of where I can go from here. I am miserable and missing out on playing with my grandchildren, eating with my family, etc. Thanks Deirdre Sapien

Related Reading: constipation | dehydration

Comment from: crystal, 75 or over on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 31

I was giventhis medication after having an endoscopy and colonoscopy which leftr me with an enormous amount of gas in my stomach and nothing relieved the gas. I did not have diarhera

Comment from: row1947play@gmail.com, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 29

I did not not mind taking this medication because it was helping me, but latel I have bee experiencing a metalic taste in my mouth & smell, it makes me sick and its hard for me to eat anything.

Comment from: Sheri Terrell, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 10

I was given Rifaximin for extreme bloating, stomach cramps for over 2 years. I have lost weight and cannot gain it back due to no appetite. I took the rifaximin for 2 weeks-during the 1st week, it was AMAZING-I have not felt like this in over 2 years-completely back to normal-was so excited. On the 2nd week of rifaximin, bloating, gas, cramping stomach again-has anyone else had this experience?

Comment from: Tomscott, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 10

I have an internal "J pouch" created by my surgeon when my colon was removed 19 years ago due to cancer. I get frequent "pouchitis" because of bacteria, etc. which further increases my diarrhea problems because I don't have a colon. I had been on Cipro on and off for 14 years to clean out the bacteria in the pouch but had mixed results. I started taking Xifaxan 3 months ago with great results! In fact I love it BUT I apparently I may be one of the 2% of people that react to this drug with muscle and joint soreness and light infrequent headaches. I'm going to experiment more with it maybe by alternating with the Cipro but we'll see.

Related Reading: cancer | Cipro

Comment from: kjkapsen@aol.com, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 11

10 days post treatment with Xifaxan for bacteria seems ok should I have another breath test?

Comment from: Sheila, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 09

I have been diagnosis with 4th stage liver failure (but very recently been told it has improved "self-healing" to 3rd stage). I have been taking lactulose for excessive ammonia caused by bacteria in my system that my liver no longer filters for over 7 years. It was always hit and miss with the lactulose and because of that I've been hospitalized several times (coma). The lactulose and liver failure causes extreme gassiness, pain, headaches. My doctor said lets try this. I have been on xifaxan 200mg 3x daily since 1/20/12 and have never felt better. No longer having stomach pain, gas, headaches. For the first time in years I feel like a human being again. It's 2/8/12 now and I will keep a log here if it helps others. One thing I want to mention, there have been a few people mention mouth infections and muscle weakness and tiredness etc. I have been diagnosis with an extremely low B12 and B6, and needing extra D3. All of the symptoms that have been mention have been cured for me by taking a B12/B6 shot once a month and increasing my D3 x 2 daily. So no mouth problems, tired muscles, aches and pains etc. Not saying it's the answer for everyone but maybe worth asking your doctor about. Hope I've helped someone.

Related Reading: liver | coma | B12