Xyrem User Reviews

Xyrem - User Reviews

Xyrem User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Xyrem sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: djoylong, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 29

I am currently participating in a study using this medication for Fibromyalgia. I take 2.25ml when I go to bed and 2.25ml 2.5 hours after I go to sleep. To date, this is the only medicine that truly helps me with my sleeping problem and relief from muscle weakness and fatigue.

Related Reading: Fibromyalgia | sleep | fatigue

Comment from: KittyB, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 08

Before taking Xyrem, my life consisted of sleeping 14-19 hrs a day. Even when I was awake, I couldn't function...it was like I was in a coma fog. I was also misdiagnosed with severe depression; was prescribed over 32 different prescriptions (non w/ success and all w/ bad side effects) and even did ECT treatments. Nothing worked, and privately I never felt depressed...just tired. I cannot tell you the hell that those years were. But now that I've been properly diagnosed (15 years later) and treated...I've got my life back! I have awoken from my coma. I now smile all the time, sing in the shower, and look forward to being around my family. I'm awake during the day and sleeping at night! I'm even going to nursing school...a true miracle. I'll never forget what my doctor told me when starting Xyrem: "Welcome back. Once again, you are apart of this world, and this time it's going to be awesome." My doctor is right. Oh...I do have a couple of weird side effects. After taking my first dose I awoke to find that my "barely B" breast size had grown to a "double D." The DD's seem to be permanent (and I do miss my barely B's). Also, w/o even trying, I've lost 35 lbs, and my finger nails are growing strong and fast for the first time in my life! For the first 4-5 months I did have pretty bad dry mouth, but for the first time in my life the treatment was worth the side effect. And, after six months the dry mouth was gone.

Related Reading: Xyrem | coma | depression

Comment from: Melinda, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 25

Before taking Xyrem, I had difficulty falling asleep, staying asleep, and getting enough deep sleep. Xyrem has changed that for me. I have not experienced the side effects that many have. I think this is because my doctor and the Xyrem support system were very careful in recommending dosing levels, and I carefully worked up to an effective does. There are many terrifying stories about this drug, and one needs to be careful when reading about them. I've been taking Xyrem for several months, and I've lost weight and feel much better. I now get enough sleep that I have the stamina to exercise. Of course this medication isn't for everyone, but when researching this drug, the prospective consumer should carefully examine the good reviews along with the bad.

Comment from: kogeliz, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 28

I have narcolepsy. Xyrem helps me get my real deep sleep and I can actually wake up on time to my alarms. This is amazing for me since I have never really felt how normal people do (ie: well rested). It IS a pain to get used to waking up in the middle of the night for the second dose... but worth it.

Related Reading: narcolepsy

Comment from: wyans17@hotmail.com, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 08

This medication landed me in the hospital. I almost died and was in a coma like stage. I had to spend a week in a psych unit because I had such bad memory loss, confusion and aggitation. This drug is not safe. From now on I have to go to therapy, take daily medication, and am unable to work, drive and do anything without the help of my husband. I was a healthy 28 year old female with insomnia before this and now my life is gone. Please stay away from this medication. It has caused the same kind of brain problems as if you were involved in a horrible car accident.

Related Reading: insomnia

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 28

I was taking for Narcolepsy for 3 years. Was on max dose, never slept after first dose, but did after 2nd. ONLY time I get a refreshing sleep! I have recently had to stop this med due to severe side effects of depression and suicidal thoughts, symptoms went away like magic after 2 days off drug, but now EDS and SP/HH are back. Love the drug, and it worked great for a while - but please be on the lookout for depression side effect.

Comment from: donna, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 12

i have fibromyalgia. I could never get to sleep, stay asleep, or wake up rested prior to this drug. Now I am a co-director for a large deveoper, very busy daily schedule, and i can honestly say finally i can keep up. And more important "get up" in the morning. Donna

Sleep Disorders

Get tips for better sleep.