Zarontin User Reviews

Zarontin - User Reviews

Zarontin User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Zarontin sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Buddy, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: February 07

My 6 year old Daughter was diagnosed with petite Mal seizures. She has been on the medication Syrup for 6 months, started @ 8ml now up to 9 ml. Since taking the medicine I have noticed her seizures have gone from the eye rolling to actual shaking. They are occurring much more then they did prior to the medicine. She complains of Stomach ache every day. She is often tired during school and actually falls asleep in class often. I am not so sure about this medicine being right for my daughter.

Comment from: 7-12 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 24

My 6 year old daughter started zarontin, and within 3 days was seizure free. she was on the same dose for 2 years, went off for a while and unfortunately back on a slightly higher does, but again is seizure free. side effect were minimal for 3 weeks.

Comment from: Carrie B, 7-12 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: March 08

Very effective for the seizure activity. Daughter 6yrs old when started, now 7 years old. However significant trouble sleeping, hallucinations, and vivid dreaming problems. Common stomach aches too. Will go off of this med due to these problems.

Comment from: Naturally Concerned, (Patient) Published: February 22

I was diagnosed with Epilepsy at age 7. Unfortunately, after months of testing; CAT Scans, MRIs, blood work, (a 3 month hospitalization), it was determined that I had Gran-Mal, Petite-Mal, and Psycho-Motor seizures. I was initially prescribed Tegretol or Carbamazepine which worked moderately for about 7 yrs. At age 14, still having active seizures, the determination was made to try me on Zarontin... huge mistake! I was so disoriented and unable to function that I stepped into the path of an oncoming school bus and had no idea what to do to save myself. I hadn't even realized the danger I was in. Zarontin made me completely numb and unable to focus AT ALL. Because of this incident (23 years ago) I have been reluctant to accept any further treatment for my seizure disorder. I'd rather live with Epilepsy than die from reactions to improper medication. Coincidentally, as I got older and remained un-medicated, the seizures became more and more infrequent. I have relapsed periodically, during more stressful points. In all fairness, it should be mentioned that I was introduced to Depakote for a brief period in my adult years, but that proved ineffective for me. I currently manage a relatively seizure-free life without medication. I have found that nutrition plays a large role in my neurology. I am not a doctor, but would like to share some information that may help those suffering seizure disorders. Please avoid foods containing "Aspartame"; an artificial sweetener. This may help to control some seizures. http://www.sweetpoison.com/phenylalanine.html I only wish this info had been available to me years ago. I'm providing it in the hopes that it may help someone else, now.

Related Reading: Tegretol | Depakote

Comment from: lindsaymabon, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: July 21

for years i have been taking Zarontin (capsules) and then all of a sudden i was given the syrup which i was not happy with so i wrote to the company and complain but then was told they couldnt do it anymore so i had no choice so i carry on with the syrup yesterday i went to the dentist and he was shocked same as i was too but i had a feeling it would happened and i was right all along i had to have 2 very deep fillings and took longer then he said it would and not only that it cost me a lot of money which i cant afford as i am retired so is it possible to go back to capsules if so i bea very happy bunny and i bet i am not the only one (when i first try the syrup it was very sweet) so is there anyone else taking the same medicine if so be warn it will affect your teeth especially the children

Comment from: richmondfc23, 13-18 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 01

In my nine year experience of drugs to control epilepsy this one is the best by miles. Firstly, I have been put on a cocktail of 14 pills a day to control my tonic-clonic and grand mal seizures. At first, drugs like Lamictal and Epilim (I'm Australian) were not that useful and had too many side effects. When we rolled the desperate dice and I went on Zarontin it was almost instantly successful. However, as expected the transition for this drug to take effect on the body takes time. It is far from an overnight drug. As far as the side effects/ drug effictiveness ratio goes, this as a winner by far. It is heavy drugs. That is for sure, but unlike minor drugs like Lamictal which indecisive Neurologists flirt with, the biggest side effect would have been a loss of sleeping pattern. A fine compromise in terms of daily grand mal seizures or an inconsistant sleeping pattern. Just a final point of observation, if you want to put your child on this drug it may be tough. Two reasons for this. The pills are quite large. Possibly two centimetres long (0.8 of an inch), very thin though. however the taste of the liquid is simply horrid. A definite choice of tablet is imperative. When I was eight I couldn't keep the drug down so to speak. P.s (sorry about the unit), as I'm australian I use the metric system. hope I helped!

Related Reading: Lamictal

Comment from: Abby's Mom, 7-12 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: October 20

Has worked well for my 6 yr. daughter however did notice moodswings as dosage was being adjusted up. She did get used to it though and follow up EEG looking better :)

Epilepsy

Find tips and treatments to control seizures.