Zoloft User Reviews

Zoloft - User Reviews

Zoloft User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Zoloft sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Ruby, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 20

I have been taking Zoloft 50 mgms @ bedtime for 6 wks now for depression & high stress situation in family. I noticed a positive difference within a week. It has a sedative effect, therefore has helped with my 'insomnia' that I have been battling for yrs. (I was probably depressed due to ongoing stressful issues for the past 10 yrs & did not realize it).Also am now taking Amytriptaline 10mgm @ bedtime if I need it.(this also helps with sleep). I believe that it has lifted my mood (I felt tremendous sadness & hopelessness most days...& cried all the time).Zoloft (Sertraline) has helped me. I don't cry as I did before, also have more energy to do everyday activities. Before the meds I did not feel like doing anything..could have stayed in my pj's all day..had no interest in anything. Now I have more energy & I am better equipped to deal with our high stress issues. My daughter has noticed a difference also. I do not like to be dependant on meds. but in my case, I feel it has been a dramatic change for the better. My doctor feels that I should stay on the Zoloft for 9 to 12 months...then we will discuss if I should stop. He suggested that I increase the dose, but I declined this for now because I feel better. I will also see a therapist. As for the weight..I have gained 3 lbs, too early to say I guess...but I think I get more enjoyment out of life now...I had lost my appetite before & had lost 4 lbs.As for my libido..it was not good before...now I believe I may be regaining some interest..probably too early to say.

Related Reading: insomnia

Comment from: balancedbrain, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 22

I am a 67 year old woman. Depression runs in my family. I have taken zoloft twice for depression in the last four years. (I do not suffer from anxiety attacks.) It has worked both times, though it takes awhile. The first few weeks it improves the quality of my sleep, and then it gradually lifts my mood until I am almost) my old cheery self. I am thankful for zoloft. However, I have experienced some side effects: first and foremost, diarrhea - which has slowed over time but still have some stomach irritation. (At one point the pharmacy switched generics and the diarrhea stopped completely.) Also, it has reduced my sex drive and ability to orgasm - my doc suggested I take a break from zoloft on the weekends and that has helped.(This could be a worse problem for younger couples with a more spontaneous sex life, but it works for us.) I have NOT experienced nausea, skin outbreaks, tremors. I am pleased with zoloft and feel fortunate that it has worked for me. It has helped my brother and my dad too. From reading the reviews, it seems that it is not as helpful for depression with anxiety. Also, I recommend patience when you first start taking it - it takes awhile to get the full benefit. I have recently added fish oil and aerobic exercise (Curves three days a week for 1/2 an hour) - and make sure I get as much light and sunshine as possible. It is important to socialize too - even if you have to force yourself. Good luck to all of you.

Related Reading: diarrhea | tremors

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 05

I was prescribed Zoloft at 17. I took it for depression up until a few months ago. I'm turning 32 next week. Just to make that point perfectly clear, that it's been 15 years.? I stopped Zoloft for about a year in 2003. At this point, I weaned off of 75mgs over the course of a month. I experienced all the typical withdrawal symptoms (both verified and unverified by the drug companies). These included “brain zaps”, faintness, nausea, severe rage/aggression (almost violent), crying fits, etc… The withdrawal symptoms went away after about six months. I noticed that my compulsion to drink alcohol went away (and therefore the weight that I had gained), as did the zombie feeling. I had been on this for so long that I thought it was all normal! I actually started to feel things again, sans “Garden State”. I actually wanted to experience life. Unfortunately, I had to start taking it again within a year due to unexpected hardships. Within weeks of taking Zoloft again, the zombie like existence returned, as did the compulsion to drink, weight gain, etc. At this point, I realized for the first time that it was the drug that made me feel this way (crazy how it distorts your thinking). I stayed on Zoloft for another six years because I was terrified of the withdrawal, and what it would do to my job and personal life if I tried to stop again. I finally stopped taking Zoloft again about a month ago. I suppose being laid off is as good at time as any to kick a bad habit. ? I followed the same process for weaning of it. I had the exact same symptoms as the last time; “brain zaps”, faintness, nausea, severe aggression (almost violent), crying fits, etc. I've been off it for two months now, and I still have all the withdrawal symptoms. I don't, however, have the “zombified” feeling, compulsion to drink alcohol, negative sexual side effects, or lack of interest in daily activities that used to accompany Zoloft for the last 15 years. In the two Zoloft free months I have; been i

Related Reading: sexual

Comment from: momforgirls, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 17

I've been on Sertraline for three years now and it is amazing. I take 50 mg. per day and it just takes the edge off so I can enjoy my six kids and my life now. There's nothing wrong with needing anti-depressant medication if you need it. If I had a heart problem I'd take medication for that, so what's the difference. If it helps you be healthy, accept it.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 22

This medicine was exactly what my brain needed for my severe OCD. In about 3 to 4 months I went from a slave of OCD to basically my healthy self. I've been highly "normal" for two and a half years. Thank you to the men and women who created this drug. By the way, the side effects for me were minimal and short lasting [loose stools].