Zostavax User Reviews

Zostavax - User Reviews

Zostavax User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Zostavax sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: kstrickoff, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 23

I have never had shingles, but I recently turned 60, and had the shot, since my wife had the shingles 2 years ago, and it seemed like the wise thing to do. I had the shot last Tuesday 02/16/10. Everything appeared just fine for a few days with no symptoms. Then I woke up Saturday morning with sore throat, headache, achiness, and a 102.8 fever; some rashes began erupting on my ring finger (I don't wear a ring on that finger), and more mildly on the top of my hands. Sunday the fever diminisbed but I still felt like a space cadet, and the rash on my ring fingers and hand were growing and erupting some morer; my MD perscribed a Z-Pak as a precaution, and opined that my apparent virus was not related to the shingles shot; yet by Monday afternoon it is now looking very much like a shingles rash on my hands and fingers. All this from talking a preventative vacination. It sure would be nice to get some wise professional advise, as to what I should now to minimize the severity of this reaction, and make it go away! All responses will be appreciated!

Related Reading: sore throat | headache | fever

Comment from: hotprocess, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 18

I rcvd. Zostavax 11/12/08. The site was very soure within a couple of hours. Within a few days I had fever-like blisters on my lips. The skin on the roof of my mouth blistered and pealed. My tounge ws very tended. I had and acid-like taste in my mouth and my esophagas seemed to be tender and produced phlegm. The sourness in my arm continueed for 2-3 weeks. I became short of breath and went to ER early one morning with a pain in my right side. Tried to tell ER it was a reaction but they checked my heart and discharged me. Went to family Dr. just as a follow-up; could not do much but agree to REACTION. Symptems are becoming less. Fell like I will recover but still soure mouth, toungue and esophagas. Could be something other than vaccine but I'll bet 10:1 its a reaction.

Comment from: Brian, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 03

Recieved Zostavax vaccination on 02/22/2010 and came down with shingles on 02/26/2010. Painful blisters on right side of face, forehead, and scalp. Confirmed by physician on 03/01 who also prescribed Acyclovir and Cephalexin. Obviously, I am very displeased with this situation!

Comment from: Dutchvrouw, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 10

I received the vaccination on 09/29/09. It hurt a lot as I drive away. Within 2 days I had a large, bright right swelling around the injection site and a large flat circle of redness extending from elbow to upper arm and halfway around my arm. The injection site was very painful, swollen, hot and itchy. After a week, the flat circle disappeared but the bright red swollen area remained. It then changed to a blotchy, rash-like appearance. The pain was severe enough that I iced the area several times daily and took OTC pain relievers. Eleven days later, the swollen area and redness are both significantly smaller and the pain is reduced although very much present.

Comment from: ricboy47@yahoo.com, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 23

I was given Zostavax 24 hrs. ago and all is well so far.No rash,no swelling like some have reported. Rich N. Mass.

Comment from: shinglestreet, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 15

I got this shot 9/11/09. After approx. 20 mins. I experienced a metal like taste. The next day the injection site was itching and by that night was getting red and painful. I also experienced dizziness. On 9/13 the redness and pain was worse and the area also started to develope blisters. I can not find any information relating to my side effects or how long I can expect them to continue.

Related Reading: dizziness

Comment from: jf, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 30

On June 9, 2009, i had the shingles vaccination. Five days later I developed a severe cold sore on my bottom lip. Two weeks later, it went away. Two days after that, which was yesterday, June 29, I developed another "fever blister" on my lower lip. I remain very stressed out over this. I am not sure how to rate the effectiveness or my satisfaction. I will be very satisfied if I never get shingles, but the stress of the cold sores is awful. I cannot guarantee that it is a reaction to the shot, but I would bet that it is.

Related Reading: stress

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 26

We've always joked that God wired me wrong! My body always does the opposite of what the medication is suppose to do!! I took a chance & had the injection on 1/16/09. Never felt the injection & the only time the area was tender was when I slept on that side & that only lasted a few days. NO PROBLEMS & NO SIDE-EFFECTS! Would highly recommend it!