Zostavax User Reviews

Zostavax - User Reviews

Zostavax User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Zostavax sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Zoster, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I had the vaccine administered to me at around noon on a Friday. The next day I felt nauseous after lunch and by nightfall I had pain in my upper left abdominal area and I was vomiting so badly that there was green bile in the vomitus. I finally had to visit the ER and was admitted to the hospital with severe pain dur to Acute Pancreatitis. I recovered after three days and my regular MD showed me a 26 page report about pancreatitis that stated Varicella Zoster is often associated with pancreatitis. I believe the Zostavax which is a live attenuated virus was the causative agent.

Related Reading: Pancreatitis

Comment from: blacklick, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 16

no problems at all with treatment.

Comment from: Sandy, 65-74 (Patient) Published: January 25

I received the Zostavax injection on Thurs. 1/20 and was fine until Friday night 1/21 when I noticed a red spot and slight pain in the site. The next day the spot had grown to 3 X 4 in. & I had a swollen knot the size of a tennis ball. There was considerable itching, jabbing intense pain & I spent all day Saturday and Sunday icing the spot, taking Advil, Benydryl & sleeping pills each night so I could get some rest. My shoulder and whole arm feels numb & weak. I also applied a steroid salve given to me for severe case of poison ivy. I even thought of going to the Emergency Room but because i didn't have any difficulty breathing didn't. On Monday I went to the pharmacy who administered it & the pharmist said she'd never seen that kind of reaction & if it got any worse to go to a doctor. Tuesday morning 1/25 and although the redness & swelling has shrunk somewhat, it's still there. And my arm is still weak. I don't know if this will ever go away. Wouldn't recommend this to anyone, deal with the shingles, if it happens, be aware & have it treated then. Even with the shot, you have a 50/50 chance of still contacting shingles! This immunication shouldn't have even been put on the market.

Related Reading: poison ivy

Comment from: Fern, 65-74 (Patient) Published: December 07

Because I had the chicken pox as an adult I never wanted to get the shingles. I took the shingles vaccine in June 2008 and several weeks later got a severe reaction from the top of my head to the top of my feet. I've had biopsies and multiple blood work which only showed that i may have an allergic reaction. I've been to 4 dermatologists, one infectious disease doctor, my oncologist, radiologist oncologist and surgeon for help. ALL 8 doctors have never seen my type of reaction. My face and chest have the typical fluid pustules and the rest of my body has a flat purple design all the way to my feet and arms. My face, mouth and tongue burn first then it goes to the rest of my body. Also, it feels like needles are stinging my skin. I do not itch. Along with this I have severe stomach pain, bloating and diarrhea. My reaction to the shingles shot has affected my stomach. It has been 2 1/2 years since this began. Today my pcp prescribed an anti viral pill to be taken 3 times a day for the next ten days. If this doesn't work i will find a virologist. I have been in touch with Merck and they are no help.

Related Reading: the shingles vaccine | diarrhea

Comment from: Kathy F, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 28

Took the shot (8/3/10) injection site very sore and developed cold sores in my mouth within 24 hours. Now (8/27)experiencing severe pain in all joints and swelling. Hope this goes away soon.

Comment from: patient, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 05

I got the shot on Wednesday 2/3/2010. No problem with the injection until Thursday when my arm became sore. But, by Friday my arm was red, swollen, burning hot and itching. I called the pharmacy where I was given the injection, and the pharmasist told me to put cortizone cream or ointment on the red spot. By this time the "spot" was 3" x 4" in size. After putting the cream on it, it was better. I'm going to have to keep putting the cream on it for a few days.

Comment from: Ruidoso, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 23

I received the Vostavax vaccine in just a day or so was ill, nausea, etc. Tested by physician for elevated lipase and amylase. Diagnosis: pancreatitis, unknown etiology. I have no history of any pancreatic type disorders. I believe the zostavax was the causal agent of my pancreatitis, which has resolved, but the future is unknown if there are to be any damages to the pancrease.

Comment from: elmo1620, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 10

I recived the shot many years ago when it first came out - not any adverse effects from the shot. Today 1/10/11 I have shingles. I am so angry I could spit nails. I am caring for a 5 month old grandchild 3 a week and now I cannot have her till the blisters scab over -hopefully doc says by next week. Did I know it was not totally effective????? May have a lighter case due to the shot, however.I would like to know the percentage of folks who get shingles anyway????

Comment from: Grundy, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 10

Minor reaction at injection site for 24 hrs.