Zyrtec User Reviews

Zyrtec - User Reviews

Zyrtec User Reviews

Here is a collection of user reviews for the medication Zyrtec sorted by most helpful. Patient Discussions FAQs

Comment from: Perry, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 28

After suffering from hives, I was prescribed this drug in 2004. At that time, I weighed 183 pounds and was an elite level triathlete/national level swimmer. I maintain a very active lifestyle, completing 12-15 hours of cardio training each week and even more in the summer, yet despite this fact, I still managed to gain 30 pounds since starting the treatment, all but ending my triathlon career. My doctor, who is also a triathlete has not been able to understand or explain my weight gain after all kinds of blood work and medical exams, nor could he explain the rise in my blood pressure. The weight gain and rise in my blood pressure was bad, but the other side effects have been more painful. I developed tendinitis in my elbows, hip flexors/groin, and feet, all of these symptoms have been present for up to two years. These symptoms were attribibuted to "overtraining" even as they persisted after taking time off from training each winter (no more than 45 days.) I only came to the realization that it was probably the zyrtec after reading about other peoples' similar experiences. (note that my only other prescribed daily drugs are a nasonex and entex le prescribed for allergies and sinusitis). I no longer use the drug and may consider legal action. This drug has cost me opportunities and caused me great pain.

Related Reading: nasonex

Comment from: kathleen, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: September 28

My 3 year old daughter took this medicine and her whole personality changed. She became very agressive and angry which was a drastic change from her normal friendly dispostion. At first I thought it was just a new phase of being a 3 year old. But I noticed taking her off of it for a few days that she would return to her normal happy self. When I think of the number of times I punished her for being contrary when the cause was a reaction to the medication - shame on mommy! I urge all parents to be aware that this medicine can alter your child's mood/personality.

Comment from: Getting Smarter w/Age, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 25

My husband has wonderful relief from seasonal allergies with this product. I have intermittent allergies depending on pollen concentration. Tried using one dose (generally have used Loratidine, didn't have it along). Slept 12 hours that night (I usually sleep 6-7), difficulty with 'catching my breath', head congestion, vivid dreams. My husband said it was in my head...suggested I take dose second day. Same thing. People are different...what works for him clearly does not work for me. Don't assume it 'should' work if indications are that it is not. (remember, we don't all wear the same shoe size, either) Back to Loratidine for me.

Comment from: mcreel, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 21

I started using this because for some reason I have developed new sensitivities to our cats. Have always had season allergies but have taken Claritin. Dr. said try zyrtec for this. This med was awful to me. To begin with I was not sure it was the meds because of just becoming so sensitive to new things. But while on this medication I started having chest pains, my breathing became more difficult. Not like asthmatic, I could just tell a difference, dizzy, nauseated. Very mild to start. Thought it was related to my newly acquired allergies. Oh yeh, for some reason my voice kept getting more hoarse and deeper. At some times I really had to push myself to get sound to come out. At the 1 week point of being on this med, it hit me hard. about 30 to 45 min after I took it my chest started cramping bad. It kept getting worse and worse, It got harder to breath. dizzy, every so often I would get a warm flush feeling. Got so bad I went to E.R. everything came back fine. Around the 24 hour point, time for it to wear off, my chest started easing up, no more warm flushes, not dizzy. And within 24 hours of stopping taking zyrtec and taking Claritin in it's place, I started coughing up all kinds of mess and my breathing started getting better. purchasing Zyrtec was the worse thing that ever happened to me.

Comment from: 13-18 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 23

I have horrible seasonal allergies and this completely wipes them out. I've never had any side effects. I can take it in the middle of the day without getting drowsy. Love it!!!

Comment from: mcsame801, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 04

I had taken claritin for over a week and was not satisfied with affects. I had gotten worse as the week had past and needed to try something else. I had bought the generic of Zyrtec hoping that it would work. I am releaved that same day I had started taking Zyrtec. I was very happy, I could breathe!! Two days later, I can't sleep, severe stomach cramps and nausea including vomiting. I have stopped taking this drug because I can't function. Another affect I have noticed is sleepiness, bad dreams and trouble sleeping at night. I do not recommend this drug to anyone! There are alot other drugs out there to try that won't give you all of this side affects.

Comment from: bignose, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 25

I have been using nose drops for many years because of my sinus problems. My nose stopped up every night when I went to bed. I use Zyrtec now and have not had to use the nose drops in more than a month. I can breath all day without problem. I take it at night and it works great. I love it.