"Sleep is important for people of all ages to stay in good health. Read more to learn how much sleep your body needs.
How you feel and perform during the day is related to how much sleep you get the night before. If sleepiness interfer"...
- Clinician Information:
Seconal Sodium Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Seconal Sodium
Generic Name: secobarbital (Pronunciation: SEE koe BAR bi tal)
- What is secobarbital (Seconal Sodium)?
- What are the possible side effects of secobarbital (Seconal Sodium)?
- What is the most important information I should know about secobarbital (Seconal Sodium)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking secobarbital (Seconal Sodium)?
- How should I take secobarbital (Seconal Sodium)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Seconal Sodium)?
- What happens if I overdose (Seconal Sodium)?
- What should I avoid while taking secobarbital (Seconal Sodium)?
- What other drugs will affect secobarbital (Seconal Sodium)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is secobarbital (Seconal Sodium)?
Secobarbital is in a group of drugs called barbiturates (bar-BIT-chur-ates). Secobarbital slows the activity of your brain and nervous system.
Secobarbital is used short-term to treat insomnia, or as a sedative before surgery.
Secobarbital may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Seconal 100 mg
orange, imprinted with Lilly F40
What are the possible side effects of secobarbital (Seconal Sodium)?
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- restless muscle movements in your eyes, tongue, jaw, or neck;
- slow heartbeat, shallow breathing;
- feeling like you might pass out;
- a fever or a sore throat;
- sores in your mouth;
- easy bruising or bleeding; or
- ongoing nightmares or increased dreaming.
Less serious side effects may include:
- drowsiness or dizziness;
- problems with memory or concentration;
- excitement (especially in children or older adults);
- upset stomach, constipation;
- headache; or
- "hangover" effect (drowsiness the day after a dose).
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Seconal Sodium (secobarbital sodium capsules) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about secobarbital (Seconal Sodium)?
Some people using this medicine have engaged in activity such as driving, and later having no memory of the activity. If this happens to you, stop taking secobarbital and talk with your doctor about another treatment for your sleep disorder.
Secobarbital can make birth control pills less effective. Ask your doctor about using a non-hormone method of birth control (such as a condom, diaphragm, spermicide) to prevent pregnancy while taking secobarbital.
Secobarbital may be habit-forming and should be used only by the person it was prescribed for. Secobarbital should never be shared with another person, especially someone who has a history of drug abuse or addiction. Keep the medication in a secure place where others cannot get to it.
Additional Seconal Sodium Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get tips for better sleep.