- What other names is Secretin known by?
- What is Secretin?
- How does Secretin work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Dosing considerations for Secretin.
Secretin is used to treat autism. Two dosage forms are available. Secretin is either placed under the tongue or given by IV (intravenously).
Secretin is also given by IV for pervasive developmental disorder (PDD), pancreatitis and other pancreas problems, overactive parathyroid gland, duodenal ulcers, bleeding in the stomach and intestines, and heart failure. It is also given by IV for preventing stress ulcers and for diagnosing a rare digestive tract condition called Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.
Likely Ineffective for...
- Autism and pervasive developmental disorder (PDD). The use of secretin for autism is controversial. Some people have reported they have seen an improvement in stomach and intestinal function, social and behavioral abilities, and language skills after single intravenous doses of secretin. But most of the evidence shows that secretin, both lab-made and derived from pigs, doesn't improve autism or pervasive developmental disorder when given in single or repeated doses.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Stress ulcers in severe trauma or disease. Developing evidence suggests that secretin might help prevent stress ulcers.
- Pancreatitis. There is some evidence that secretin might help symptoms of ongoing pancreatitis.
- Intestinal ulcers.
- Digestive tract bleeding.
- Heart failure.
- Other conditions.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).
Next: How does Secretin work?
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.