"Nov. 27, 2012 -- Every month, 1,000 more young Americans ages 13 to 24 get an incurable infection that's deadly unless held at bay by daily doses of costly drugs -- and many of them don't even know it.
That infection is HIV, the virus"...
Selzentry Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Selzentry
Generic Name: maraviroc (Pronunciation: ma RAV i rok)
- What is maraviroc (Selzentry)?
- What are the possible side effects of maraviroc (Selzentry)?
- What is the most important information I should know about maraviroc (Selzentry)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking maraviroc (Selzentry)?
- How should I take maraviroc (Selzentry)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Selzentry)?
- What happens if I overdose (Selzentry)?
- What should I avoid while taking maraviroc (Selzentry)?
- What other drugs will affect maraviroc (Selzentry)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is maraviroc (Selzentry)?
Maraviroc is an antiviral medication that prevents certain viral cells from multiplying in your body.
Maraviroc is used together with other medications. to treat CCR5-tropic human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) type 1.
Maraviroc is not a cure for HIV or AIDS.
Maraviroc may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of maraviroc (Selzentry)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Maraviroc may also cause severe liver symptoms. Stop taking maraviroc and call your doctor at once if you have any of these liver symptoms:
- low fever, itching;
- nausea, upper stomach pain, loss of appetite;
- dark urine, clay-colored stools; or
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Call your doctor at once if you have any other serious side effect, such as:
- skin rash, bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness;
- sudden numbness, tingling, or weakness anywhere in your body;
- chest pain or heavy feeling, pain spreading to the arm or shoulder, nausea, sweating, general ill feeling;
- cold sores, sores on your genital or anal area;
- white patches or sores inside your mouth or on your lips; or
- signs of a new infection, such as fever or chills, cough, or flu symptoms.
Less serious side effects may include:
- cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, cough, sore throat;
- diarrhea, constipation;
- sleep problems (insomnia);
- problems with urination;
- muscle or joint pain;
- dizziness; or
- mild skin rash.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Selzentry (maraviroc) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about maraviroc (Selzentry)?
You should not take maraviroc if you have severe kidney disease and you are also using certain drugs. Tell your doctor about all other medications you use.
Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you have kidney disease, liver disease (especially hepatitis B or C), heart disease, low blood pressure, any type of allergy, circulation problems, or if you have ever had a stroke.
Call your doctor at once if you have signs of liver damage: low fever, itching, nausea, upper stomach pain, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, or jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
There are many other drugs that can interact with maraviroc. Tell your doctor about all medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Keep a list of all your medicines and show it to any healthcare provider who treats you.
HIV/AIDS is usually treated with a combination of different drugs. Maraviroc must be given in combination with other antiviral medications. Use all medications as directed by your doctor.
Taking this medication will not prevent you from passing HIV to other people. Avoid having unprotected sex or sharing razors or toothbrushes. Talk with your doctor about safe ways to prevent HIV transmission during sex. Sharing drug or medicine needles is never safe, even for a healthy person.
Additional Selzentry Information
- Selzentry Drug Interactions Center: maraviroc oral
- Selzentry Side Effects Center
- Selzentry Overview including Precautions
- Selzentry FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get breaking medical news.