"Jan. 17, 2013 -- Cancer death rates have fallen by 20% from their peak about 20 years ago,┬according to the latest statistics from the American Cancer Society.
This means that from 1991 to 2009, 1.2 million lives were spared, includin"...
Sensipar Patient Information including If I Miss a Dose
In this Article
- What is cinacalcet (Sensipar)?
- What are the possible side effects of cinacalcet (Sensipar)?
- What is the most important information I should know about cinacalcet (Sensipar)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking cinacalcet (Sensipar)?
- How should I take cinacalcet (Sensipar)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Sensipar)?
- What happens if I overdose (Sensipar)?
- What should I avoid while taking cinacalcet (Sensipar)?
- What other drugs will affect cinacalcet (Sensipar)?
- Where can I get more information?
What happens if I miss a dose (Sensipar)?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose (Sensipar)?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
What should I avoid while taking cinacalcet (Sensipar)?
Follow your doctor's instructions about any restrictions on food, beverages, or activity.
What other drugs will affect cinacalcet (Sensipar)?
Many drugs can interact with cinacalcet. Below is just a partial list. Tell your doctor if you are using:
- chloroquine (Arelan);
- conivaptan (Vaprisol);
- diclofenac (Arthrotec, Cataflam, Voltaren, Flector Patch, Solareze);
- imatinib (Gleevec);
- isoniazid (for treating tuberculosis);
- bladder medication such as tamsulosin (Flomax) or tolterodine (Detrol);
- an antibiotic such as clarithromycin (Biaxin), dalfopristin/quinupristin (Synercid), erythromycin (E.E.S., EryPed, Ery-Tab, Erythrocin), or telithromycin (Ketek);
- an antidepressant such as amitriptyline (Elavil, Vanatrip), desipramine (Norpramin), duloxetine (Cymbalta), fluoxetine (Prozac), nefazodone, nortriptyline (Pamelor), paroxetine (Paxil), sertraline (Zoloft), and others
- antifungal medication such as itraconazole (Sporanox) or ketoconazole (Nizoral);
- ADHD medication such as atomoxetine (Strattera), dextroamphetamine (Adderall), or methylphenidate (Ritalin, Daytrana, Metadate, Concerta);
- cancer medicine such as doxorubicin (Adriamycin, Doxil), lomustine (CeeNU), tamoxifen (Soltamox);
- cough medicine (narcotic or over-the-counter);
- heart or blood pressure medication such as carvedilol (Coreg), diltiazem (Cartia, Cardizem), felodipine (Plendil), flecainide (Tambocor), labetalol (Normodyne), metoprolol (Lopressor), nifedipine (Nifedical, Procardia), procainamide (Procan, Pronestyl), propafenone (Rythmol), propranolol (Inderal), verapamil (Calan, Covera, Isoptin, Verelan), and others;
- HIV/AIDS medicine such as atazanavir (Reyataz), delavirdine (Rescriptor), fosamprenavir (Lexiva), indinavir (Crixivan), nelfinavir (Viracept), saquinavir (Invirase), or ritonavir (Norvir);
- medicine to treat psychiatric disorders, such as chlorpromazine (Thorazine), haloperidol (Haldol), promethazine (Phenergan), or thioridazine (Mellaril); or
- pain medication such as codeine (Tylenol #3), hydrocodone (Lortab, Vicodin, Vicoprofen), oxycodone (OxyContin, Percocet), or tramadol (Ultram, Ultracet).
There are many other medicines that can interact with cinacalcet. Tell your doctor about all medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor. Keep a list of all your medicines and show it to any healthcare provider who treats you.
Where can I get more information?
Your pharmacist can provide more information about cinacalcet.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2013 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 5.01. Revision date: 10/31/2011.
Your use of the content provided in this service indicates that you have read,understood and agree to the End-User License Agreement,which can be accessed by clicking on this link.
Additional Sensipar Information
- Sensipar Drug Interactions Center: cinacalcet oral
- Sensipar Side Effects Center
- Sensipar Overview including Precautions
- Sensipar FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Sensipar - User Reviews
Sensipar User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get the latest treatment options.