"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today expanded the approved uses of Nexavar (sorafenib) to treat late-stage (metastatic) differentiated thyroid cancer.
Thyroid cancer is a cancerous growth of the thyroid gland, which is located i"...
Sensipar Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Sensipar
Generic Name: cinacalcet (Pronunciation: sin ah CAL set)
- What is cinacalcet (Sensipar)?
- What are the possible side effects of cinacalcet (Sensipar)?
- What is the most important information I should know about cinacalcet (Sensipar)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking cinacalcet (Sensipar)?
- How should I take cinacalcet (Sensipar)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Sensipar)?
- What happens if I overdose (Sensipar)?
- What should I avoid while taking cinacalcet (Sensipar)?
- What other drugs will affect cinacalcet (Sensipar)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is cinacalcet (Sensipar)?
Cinacalcet decreases levels of parathyroid hormone (PTH), calcium, and phosphorous in the body.
Cinacalcet is used to treat hyperparathyroidism (overactive functioning of the parathyroid glands) in people who are on long-term dialysis for kidney disease.
Cinacalcet is also used to lower calcium levels in people with cancer of the parathyroid gland.
Cinacalcet may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Sensipar 30 mg
oval, green, imprinted with AMGEN, 30
Sensipar 60 mg
oval, green, imprinted with AMGEN, 60
What are the possible side effects of cinacalcet (Sensipar)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- numbness or tingly feeling around your mouth, fast or slow heart rate, muscle tightness or contraction, overactive reflexes;
- seizure (convulsions);
- feeling short of breath, even with mild exertion;
- swelling, rapid weight gain; or
- feeling like you might pass out.
Less serious side effects may include:
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea;
- loss of appetite;
- muscle pain, mild chest pain;
- dizziness; or
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Sensipar (cinacalcet) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about cinacalcet (Sensipar)?
You should not take this medication if you are allergic to cinacalcet.
Before you take cinacalcet, tell your doctor if you have high blood pressure, heart disease, heart failure, a heart rhythm disorder, liver disease, or a history of seizures.
Cinacalcet works best if you take it with food or shortly after eating a meal.
Do not crush or break a cinacalcet tablet. Swallow the pill whole.
To be sure this medication is helping your condition, your blood may need to be tested often. Visit your doctor regularly.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as numbness or tingly feeling around your mouth, fast or slow heart rate, muscle tightness or contraction, overactive reflexes, seizure, feeling short of breath, swelling, rapid weight gain, or feeling like you might pass out.
Additional Sensipar Information
- Sensipar Drug Interactions Center: cinacalcet oral
- Sensipar Side Effects Center
- Sensipar Overview including Precautions
- Sensipar FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Sensipar - User Reviews
Sensipar User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.