"Below is a list of the most popular prescription drugs dispensed in 2011 with links to drug monographs. The list may include the medication brand name and generic name.
Note: This information pertains to U.S. prescriptions only./"...
Sensorcaine Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Marcaine HCl, Marcaine Spinal, Sensorcaine, Sensorcaine-MPF, Sensorcaine-MPF Spinal
Generic Name: bupivacaine (Pronunciation: bue PIV a kane)
- What is bupivacaine (Sensorcaine)?
- What are the possible side effects of bupivacaine (Sensorcaine)?
- What is the most important information I should know about bupivacaine (Sensorcaine)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before receiving bupivacaine (Sensorcaine)?
- How is bupivacaine given (Sensorcaine)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Sensorcaine)?
- What happens if I overdose (Sensorcaine)?
- What should I avoid after receiving bupivacaine (Sensorcaine)?
- What other drugs will affect bupivacaine (Sensorcaine)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is bupivacaine (Sensorcaine)?
Bupivacaine is an anesthetic (numbing medicine) that blocks the nerve impulses that send pain signals to your brain.
Bupivacaine is used as a local (in only one area) anesthetic.
Bupivacaine is given as an epidural injection into the spinal column to produce numbness during labor, surgery, or certain medical procedures.
Bupivacaine is also used as an anesthetic for dental procedures.
Bupivacaine may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of bupivacaine (Sensorcaine)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives, red rash, itching; sneezing, difficulty breathing; severe dizziness, vomiting; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Tell your caregivers at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- feeling anxious, restless, confused, or like you might pass out;
- problems with speech or vision;
- ringing in the ears, metallic taste, numbness or tingling around your mouth, or tremors;
- seizure (convulsions);
- weak or shallow breathing;
- fast heart rate, gasping, feeling unusually hot;
- slow heart rate, weak pulse;
- urinating less than usual or not at all.
Less serious side effects include:
- nausea, vomiting;
- chills or shivering;
- headache; or
- back pain.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Sensorcaine (bupivacaine hci injections) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about bupivacaine (Sensorcaine)?
Tell your doctor if you have ever had an allergic reaction to any type of numbing medicine.
Before receiving this medication, tell your doctor if you have kidney or liver disease, anemia (lack of red blood cells), a bleeding or blood clotting disorder, syphilis, polio, a brain or spinal cord tumor, numbness or tingling, chronic back pain, headache caused by surgery, low or high blood pressure, a curved spine, or arthritis.
You will be watched closely after receiving bupivacaine, to make sure you do not have a reaction to the medication.
This medication can cause numbness over a large portion of your body. Take care to avoid injury before the feeling has returned completely. After a dental procedure, avoid eating, chewing gum, or drinking a hot beverage until your mouth is no longer numb.
Some epidural numbing medications can have long-lasting or permanent effects on certain body processes such as sexual function, bowel or bladder control, and movement or feeling in your legs or feet. Talk with your doctor about your specific risk of nerve damage from bupivacaine.
Additional Sensorcaine Information
- Sensorcaine Drug Interactions Center: bupivacaine inj
- Sensorcaine Side Effects Center
- Sensorcaine FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.