"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration will complete its phase-out of all inhaler medical products containing chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) by Dec. 31, 2013. This effort is to comply with an international treaty to protect the ozone layer by phasing "...
Serevent Diskus Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is salmeterol inhalation (Serevent Diskus)?
- What are the possible side effects of salmeterol inhalation (Serevent Diskus)?
- What is the most important information I should know about salmeterol inhalation (Serevent Diskus)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using salmeterol inhalation (Serevent Diskus)?
- How should I use salmeterol inhalation (Serevent Diskus)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Serevent Diskus)?
- What happens if I overdose (Serevent Diskus)?
- What should I avoid while using salmeterol inhalation (Serevent Diskus)?
- What other drugs will affect salmeterol inhalation (Serevent Diskus)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using salmeterol inhalation (Serevent Diskus)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to salmeterol. If you have asthma, salmeterol inhalation should not be your only asthma medication. You must use it together with at least one other asthma control medication.
If you have any of these other conditions, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests:
- a food or drug allergy;
- heart disease or high blood pressure;
- epilepsy or other seizure disorder;
- a thyroid disorder; or
- liver disease.
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether salmeterol inhalation will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medication.
It is not known whether salmeterol inhalation passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
Do not give this medication to a child younger than 4 years old.
How should I use salmeterol inhalation (Serevent Diskus)?
Salmeterol may increase the risk of asthma-related death. Use only the prescribed dose of this medication, and do not use it for longer than your doctor recommends. Follow all patient instructions for safe use. Tell your doctor if your symptoms do not improve after 1 week of treatment.
Asthma is often treated with a combination of different drugs. If you use salmeterol inhalation to treat asthma, you must use it together with another asthma control medication. Use all of your medications as directed by your doctor. Talk with your doctor if your medications do not seem to work as well in treating or preventing attacks. Do not change your doses or medication schedule without advice from your doctor.
If you are using salmeterol inhalation to prevent exercise-induced asthma, use the medicine 30 minutes before exercising, or as directed by your doctor. Allow at least 12 hours to pass before you use the medicine again.
Serevent Diskus is a powder form of salmeterol inhalation that comes with a special inhaler device preloaded with blister packs containing measured doses of the medicine. The device opens and loads a blister each time you use the inhaler. This device is not to be used with a spacer.
Use salmeterol inhalation regularly to get the most benefit. Get your prescription refilled before you run out of medicine completely.
Do not stop using salmeterol inhalation without first talking to your doctor. Your asthma symptoms may get worse after you stop using the medication.
If you also use a steroid medication, do not stop using the steroid suddenly or you may have unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. Talk with your doctor about taking less and less of the steroid before stopping completely.
Store at room temperature away from moisture, heat, and sunlight.
Do not try to clean or take apart the Diskus device. Throw it away 6 weeks after you have taken it out of the foil pouch, or if the dose indicator shows a zero, whichever comes first. Each Diskus device contains 60 doses.
Additional Serevent Diskus Information
- Serevent Diskus Drug Interactions Center: salmeterol inhl
- Serevent Diskus Side Effects Center
- Serevent Diskus Overview including Precautions
- Serevent Diskus FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Serevent Diskus - User Reviews
Serevent Diskus User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Allergies & Asthma
Improve treatments & prevent attacks.