"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration will complete its phase-out of all inhaler medical products containing chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) by Dec. 31, 2013. This effort is to comply with an international treaty to protect the ozone layer by phasing "...
Serevent Diskus Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Serevent Diskus
Generic Name: salmeterol (inhalation) (Pronunciation: sal MEE ter all)
- What is salmeterol inhalation (Serevent Diskus)?
- What are the possible side effects of salmeterol inhalation (Serevent Diskus)?
- What is the most important information I should know about salmeterol inhalation (Serevent Diskus)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using salmeterol inhalation (Serevent Diskus)?
- How should I use salmeterol inhalation (Serevent Diskus)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Serevent Diskus)?
- What happens if I overdose (Serevent Diskus)?
- What should I avoid while using salmeterol inhalation (Serevent Diskus)?
- What other drugs will affect salmeterol inhalation (Serevent Diskus)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is salmeterol inhalation (Serevent Diskus)?
Salmeterol is a bronchodilator. It works by relaxing muscles in the airways to improve breathing.
Salmeterol inhalation is used to prevent asthma attacks. It will not treat an asthma attack that has already begun. Salmeterol inhalation is also used to treat chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) including emphysema and chronic bronchitis.
Salmeterol inhalation may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Serevent Diskus 50 mcg
What are the possible side effects of salmeterol inhalation (Serevent Diskus)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- chest pain, fast or pounding heartbeats, tremors, shaking, or restless feeling;
- skin rash, bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness;
- wheezing, choking, or other breathing problems after using this medication; or
- worsening asthma symptoms.
Less serious side effects may include:
- headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, or insomnia;
- nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea; or
- dry mouth or throat irritation.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Serevent Diskus (salmeterol xinafoate) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about salmeterol inhalation (Serevent Diskus)?
Salmeterol may increase the risk of asthma-related death. Use only the prescribed dose of this medication, and do not use it for longer than your doctor recommends. Follow all patient instructions for safe use. Talk with your doctor about your individual risks and benefits of using salmeterol inhalation.
Asthma is often treated with a combination of different drugs. If you use salmeterol inhalation to treat asthma, you must use it together with another asthma control medication. Use all of your medications as directed by your doctor. Talk with your doctor if your medications do not seem to work as well in treating or preventing attacks. Do not change your doses or medication schedule without advice from your doctor.
Do not use a second form of salmeterol (such as Advair) or use a similar inhaled bronchodilator such as formoterol or arformoterol (Foradil, Perforomist, Symbicort, or Brovana) unless your doctor has told you to.
Additional Serevent Diskus Information
- Serevent Diskus Drug Interactions Center: salmeterol inhl
- Serevent Diskus Side Effects Center
- Serevent Diskus Overview including Precautions
- Serevent Diskus FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Serevent Diskus - User Reviews
Serevent Diskus User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Allergies & Asthma
Improve treatments & prevent attacks.