"Using data from over 18,000 patients, scientists have identified more than two dozen genetic risk factors involved in Parkinson's disease, including six that had not been previously reported. The study, published in Nature Genetics, was partially"...
Sinemet Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Atamet, Parcopa, Sinemet, Sinemet CR
Generic Name: carbidopa and levodopa (Pronunciation: KAR bi DOE pa and LEE voe DOE pa)
- What is carbidopa and levodopa (Sinemet)?
- What are the possible side effects of carbidopa and levodopa (Sinemet)?
- What is the most important information I should know about carbidopa and levodopa (Sinemet)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking carbidopa and levodopa (Sinemet)?
- How should I take carbidopa and levodopa (Sinemet)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Sinemet)?
- What happens if I overdose (Sinemet)?
- What should I avoid while taking carbidopa and levodopa (Sinemet)?
- What other drugs will affect carbidopa and levodopa (Sinemet)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is carbidopa and levodopa (Sinemet)?
Levodopa is converted to a chemical called dopamine (DOE pa meen) in the brain. Symptoms of Parkinson's disease may be caused by low levels of dopamine in the brain.
Carbidopa helps prevent the breakdown of levodopa before it can reach the brain and take effect.
The combination of carbidopa and levodopa is used to treat Parkinson symptoms such as muscle stiffness, tremors, spasms, and poor muscle control. This medication is also used to treat Parkinson symptoms caused by carbon monoxide poisoning or manganese intoxication.
Carbidopa and levodopa may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Carbidopa-Levodopa 10 mg-100 mg-TEV
round, blue, imprinted with 93 292
round, blue, imprinted with APO, 10 100
Carbidopa-Levodopa 25 mg-100 mg SR-APO
round, brown, imprinted with APO 131
Carbidopa-Levodopa 25 mg-100 mg
oval, purple, imprinted with 88, MYLAN
Carbidopa-Levodopa 25 mg-100 mg-TEV
round, yellow, imprinted with 93 293, TEVA
Carbidopa-Levodopa 25 mg-250 mg-TEV
round, blue, imprinted with 93 294
Carbidopa-Levodopa 25-100 mg-APO
round, yellow, imprinted with APO, 25 100
elliptical, yellow, imprinted with Endo 605
Carbidopa-Levodopa 25-100mg ER-MYL
oval, lavender, imprinted with MYLAN, 88
Carbidopa-Levodopa 25-250 mg-APO
round, blue, imprinted with APO, 25 250
elliptical, blue, imprinted with Endo 607
Carbidopa-Levodopa 50 mg-200 mg SR-APO
round, tan, imprinted with APO 132
Carbidopa-Levodopa 50-200mg ER-MYL
oval, lavender, imprinted with MYLAN, 9 4
Carbidopa-Levodopa CR 50 mg-200 mg-ETH
oval, orange, imprinted with ETH, 383
Carbidopa-Levodopa DT 10 mg-100 mg-MYL
round, green, imprinted with M C51
Carbidopa-Levodopa DT 25 mg-100 mg-MYL
round, blue, imprinted with M C52
Carbidopa-Levodopa DT 25 mg-250 mg-MYL
round, green, imprinted with M C53
Carbidopa-Levodopa ER 25 mg-100 mg-GLO
oval, purple, imprinted with 392, G
Carbidopa-Levodopa ER 50 mg-200 mg-GLO
oval, purple, imprinted with 391, G
Parcopa 10 mg-100 mg
round, blue, mint, imprinted with 10/100, SP 341
Parcopa 25 mg-100 mg
round, yellow, mint, imprinted with 25/100, SP 342
Parcopa 25 mg-250 mg
round, blue, mint, imprinted with 25/250, SP 343
Sinemet 10 mg-100 mg
round, blue, imprinted with 647
Sinemet 10-100 mg
oval, blue, imprinted with 647, SINEMET
Sinemet 25 mg-100 mg
round, yellow, imprinted with 650
Sinemet 25 mg-250 mg
round, blue, imprinted with 654
elliptical, blue, imprinted with SINEMET, 654
Sinemet CR 25 mg-100 mg
oval, purple, imprinted with 601
Sinemet CR 25-100
elliptical, pink, imprinted with SINEMET CR, 601
Sinemet CR 25-250
elliptical, peach, imprinted with SINEMET CR, 521
Sinemet CR 50 mg-200 mg
oval, purple, imprinted with 521
What are the possible side effects of carbidopa and levodopa (Sinemet)?
You may notice that your sweat, urine, or saliva appears dark in color, such as red, brown, or black. This is not a harmful side effect, but it may cause staining of your clothes or bed sheets.
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- restless muscle movements in your eyes, tongue, jaw, or neck;
- worsening of tremors (uncontrolled shaking);
- high fever, stiff muscles, sweating, fast or uneven heartbeats, rapid breathing, feeling like you might pass out;
- seizure (convulsions);
- painful or difficult urination;
- severe nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea;
- uneven heart rate or fluttering in your chest;
- confusion, hallucinations, anxiety, agitation, depressed mood, thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself;
- chest pain or heavy feeling, pain spreading to the arm or shoulder.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild nausea, dry mouth, loss of appetite, heartburn, diarrhea, constipation;
- headache, dizziness, drowsiness, blurred vision;
- sneezing, stuffy nose, cough, or other cold symptoms;
- sleep problems (insomnia), strange dreams;
- muscle pain, numbness or tingly feeling; or
- skin rash or itching.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Sinemet (carbidopa-levodopa) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about carbidopa and levodopa (Sinemet)?
If you are already taking levodopa (Larodopa, Dopar), you must stop taking it at least 12 hours before you start taking carbidopa and levodopa.
Talk with your doctor if your symptoms do not improve after a few weeks of treatment. Also tell your doctor if the effects of this medication seem to wear off quickly in between doses.
Do not crush, chew, or break an extended-release tablet (Sinemet CR). Swallow the pill whole.
This medication may cause you to fall asleep during normal daytime activities such as working, talking, eating, or driving. You may fall asleep suddenly, even after feeling alert. Tell your doctor if you have any problems with daytime sleepiness or drowsiness.
You may have increased sexual urges, unusual urges to gamble, or other intense urges while taking this medication. Talk with your doctor if you believe you have any intense or unusual urges while taking carbidopa and levodopa.
Additional Sinemet Information
Sinemet - User Reviews
Sinemet User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get breaking medical news.