"With the possible exception of fluoxetine (multiple brands), the vast majority of antidepressants are ineffective, and some may even be unsafe, for use in children and teens with major depressive disorder (MDD), new research shows.
Sinequan Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is doxepin (Sinequan) (Sinequan)?
- What are the possible side effects of doxepin (Sinequan) (Sinequan)?
- What is the most important information I should know about doxepin (Sinequan) (Sinequan)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking doxepin (Sinequan) (Sinequan)?
- How should I take doxepin (Sinequan) (Sinequan)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Sinequan)?
- What happens if I overdose (Sinequan)?
- What should I avoid while taking doxepin (Sinequan) (Sinequan)?
- What other drugs will affect doxepin (Sinequan) (Sinequan)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking doxepin (Sinequan) (Sinequan)?
You should not take doxepin if you have glaucoma or problems with urination. Do not use if you are allergic to doxepin or to similar medications such as amitriptyline, amoxapine, clomipramine, desipramine, imipramine, nortriptyline, protriptyline, or trimipramine.
Do not use doxepin if you have taken an MAO inhibitor in the past 14 days. A dangerous drug interaction could occur. MAO inhibitors include furazolidone, isocarboxazid, linezolid, phenelzine, rasagiline, selegiline, and tranylcypromine.
To make sure doxepin is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have:
- sleep apnea (breathing stops during sleep);
- diabetes (doxepin may raise or lower blood sugar); or
- bipolar disorder (manic-depression).
Some young people have thoughts about suicide when first taking an antidepressant. Your doctor will need to check your progress at regular visits while you are using doxepin. Your family or other caregivers should also be alert to changes in your mood or symptoms.
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether doxepin will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medication.
It is not known whether doxepin passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
Do not give this medicine to a child without medical advice.
How should I take doxepin (Sinequan) (Sinequan)?
Follow all directions on your prescription label. Your doctor may occasionally change your dose to make sure you get the best results. Do not take this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
Measure doxepin oral concentrate (liquid) with the special dose-measuring dropper provided. Do not use a regular table spoon. If you do not have a dose-measuring dropper, ask your pharmacist for one.
Empty the measured dose from the medicine dropper into a small glass (4 ounces) of water, milk, orange juice, grapefruit juice, tomato juice, prune juice, or pineapple juice. Do not use grape juice or a carbonated soft drink to mix doxepin oral concentrate. Stir the mixture and drink all of it right away. Do not save it for later use.
It may take 2 to 3 weeks before your depression symptoms improve. Keep using the medication as directed and tell your doctor if your symptoms do not improve.
Do not stop using doxepin suddenly, or you could have unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. Ask your doctor how to avoid withdrawal symptoms when you stop using doxepin.
Store at room temperature away from moisture, heat, and light.
Additional Sinequan Information
- Sinequan Drug Interactions Center: doxepin oral
- Sinequan Side Effects Center
- Sinequan Overview including Precautions
- Sinequan FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Sinequan - User Reviews
Sinequan User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get tips on therapy and treatment.