In this Article
- What other names is Sitostanol known by?
- What is Sitostanol?
- How does Sitostanol work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Dosing considerations for Sitostanol.
Adults can safely use sitostanol for up to one year, and children can safely use it for up to three months.
There is some concern that sitostanol might decrease absorption of some nutrients since it decreases fat absorption. Sitostanol does seem to reduce the absorption of dietary beta-carotene, but this reduction may not be important to health.
Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of sitostanol during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
- For high cholesterol: 800 mg to 4 grams of sitostanol per day have been tried. However, doses above 2 grams per day don't seem to work any better than 2 grams per day. Single daily doses seem to be as effective as divided doses administered twice or three times daily.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Tips to keep it under control.