"Types (classes) of pain medication
Pain medications are drugs used to relieve discomfort associated with disease, injury, or surgery. Because the pain process is complex, there are many types of pain drugs that provide relief by acting "...
Skelaxin Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Skelaxin
Generic Name: metaxalone (Pronunciation: me TAX a lone)
- What is metaxalone (Skelaxin)?
- What are the possible side effects of metaxalone (Skelaxin)?
- What is the most important information I should know about metaxalone (Skelaxin)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking metaxalone (Skelaxin)?
- How should I take metaxalone (Skelaxin)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Skelaxin)?
- What happens if I overdose (Skelaxin)?
- What should I avoid while taking metaxalone (Skelaxin)?
- What other drugs will affect metaxalone (Skelaxin)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is metaxalone (Skelaxin)?
Metaxalone is a muscle relaxant. It works by blocking nerve impulses (or pain sensations) in the brain.
Metaxalone is used together with rest and physical therapy to treat skeletal muscle conditions such as pain or injury.
Metaxalone may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Skelaxin 800 mg
oblong, pink, imprinted with 86 67, S
What are the possible side effects of metaxalone (Skelaxin)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using metaxalone and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- nausea, stomach pain, loss of appetite;
- low fever;
- dark urine, clay-colored stools; or
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Less serious side effects may include:
- drowsiness, dizziness;
- feeling nervous or irritable;
- mild nausea, vomiting, upset stomach; or
- skin rash.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Skelaxin (metaxalone) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about metaxalone (Skelaxin)?
Do not use this medication if you are allergic to metaxalone, or if you have anemia (a lack of red blood cells), or severe kidney or liver disease.
Before using metaxalone, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs, or if you have liver or kidney disease. You may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely take metaxalone.
Metaxalone can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert.
Avoid drinking alcohol. It can increase some of the side effects of metaxalone.
Additional Skelaxin Information
- Skelaxin Drug Interactions Center: metaxalone oral
- Skelaxin Side Effects Center
- Skelaxin Overview including Precautions
- Skelaxin FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Skelaxin - User Reviews
Skelaxin User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Chronic Pain/Back Pain
Find tips and advances in treatment.