Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Snoring is a sound resulting from turbulent airflow that causes the tissues of the nose and throat to vibrate during sleep. The turbulent air flow is related to a narrowing at some point in the nose, mouth, or throat. Different people who snore may have various reasons for the narrowing of the air spaces leading to snoring.
Any person can snore, and studies estimate that 45% of men and 30% of women snore on a regular basis. People who snore can have any body type, although as a rule, snoring increases when people gain weight. Sleeping position may also affect snoring. Since the tissues of the pharynx are normally soft and floppy, when we lie on our backs, gravity pulls the palate, tonsils, and tongue backward. This often narrows the airway enough to cause turbulence in airflow, tissue vibration, and snoring.
Anatomical variation, the use of medications and alcohol, and underlying medical conditions are all among the various causes of snoring. The normal aging process also leads to relaxation of the throat muscles and can facilitate snoring.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Main Article on Snoring
Causes of Snoring
In This ArticleAlcoholism Article
- Alcoholism and alcohol abuse facts
- What is alcohol abuse?
- What is alcoholism?
- What differentiates alcohol abuse from alcoholism?
- What are risk factors for alcoholism?
- What causes alcoholism? Is alcoholism hereditary?
- What are alcohol abuse and alcoholism symptoms and signs in teenagers, women, men, and the elderly?
- How is alcoholism diagnosed?
- What are the stages of alcoholism?
- What is the treatment for alcoholism?
- What medications treat alcoholism?
- How can you tell if someone has a drinking problem?
- Can an alcoholic just cut back or stop drinking?
- Is there a safe level of drinking?
- Is it safe to drink alcohol while pregnant?
- How can someone find more information or get help or support to treat alcohol abuse and alcoholism?
- What are the long-term physical and psychological effects of alcohol abuse and alcoholism?
- What is codependency and what is the treatment for codependency?
- Can alcoholism be prevented?
- What is the prognosis of alcoholism?
In This ArticleAllergy Article
- Allergy facts
- What does an allergy mean?
- What causes allergies?
- Who is at risk and why?
- What are common allergic conditions, and what are allergy symptoms and signs?
- Hay Fever
- Allergic Eyes
- Allergic Eczema
- Allergic Shock
- Where are allergens? Everywhere
- In the air we breathe
- In what we ingest
- Touching our skin
- Injected into our body
In This ArticleCysts Article
- What is a cyst?
- What are the causes of a cyst?
- What are the different types of cysts?
- What are cyst symptoms and signs, and how are cysts diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for a cyst?
- Is prevention of cysts possible?
- What is the prognosis of cysts?
- Cysts At A Glance
In This ArticleDeviated Septum Article
- What is a deviated septum?
- What causes a deviated septum?
- What are the symptoms of a deviated septum?
- What is the treatment for deviated septums?
- Surgery for Deviated Septum
- What are the risks of a deviated septum?
In This ArticleHay Fever Article
- What is hay fever? What are the symptoms and signs?
- Why does an allergic reaction occur?
- What causes allergic rhinitis?
- When and where does allergic rhinitis occur?
- How is allergic rhinitis diagnosed, and how are allergies identified?
- How are allergies treated?
- Hay Fever At A Glance
In This ArticleMarfan Syndrome Article
- Marfan syndrome facts*
- What is Marfan syndrome?
- What are the symptoms of Marfan syndrome?
- What causes Marfan syndrome?
- How is Marfan syndrome diagnosed?
- What types of doctors treat Marfan syndrome?
- What treatment options are available for Marfan syndrome?
- What are some of the emotional and psychological effects of Marfan syndrome?
- What research is being conducted on Marfan syndrome?
- Where can people find additional information about Marfan syndrome?
In This ArticleObesity Article
- Obesity facts
- What is obesity?
- How common is obesity?
- What are the health risks associated with obesity?
- What causes obesity?
- What are other factors associated with obesity?
- How is body fat measured?
- What about weight-for-height tables?
- What is the body mass index (BMI)?
- Does it matter where body fat is located?
- What can be done about obesity?
- What is the role of physical activity and exercise in obesity?
- What is the role of diet in the treatment of obesity?
- What is the role of medication in the treatment of obesity?
- What about herbal fen/phen?
- What about meal substitutes, artificial sweeteners, and OTC products?
- What is the role of surgery in the treatment of obesity?
- How can patients choose a safe and successful weight-loss program?
In This ArticleSinus Infection Article
- Sinus infection facts
- What is a sinus?
- What is a sinus infection?
- What causes sinus infections?
- What are the types of sinusitis?
- What are the signs and symptoms of sinus infection?
- How is sinus infection diagnosed?
- How is sinus infection treated?
- Are there home remedies for a sinus infection?
- What are complications of sinus infection?
- Can sinus infection be prevented?
- Related sinus infection article:
Sinus infection - on eMedicineHealth
In This ArticleSleep Article
- What is sleep?
- What are the stages of sleep?
- How much sleep does a person need?
- Does the amount of sleep we need change as we age?
- What are signs and symptoms of sleep deprivation?
- What are and what causes sleep disorders?
- How are sleep problems diagnosed?
- How are sleep problems treated?
- Sleep hygiene
- Other therapies
- Sleep aids (prescription and OTC)
- Are sleep problems and disease related?
- How can I get a good night's sleep?
In This ArticleSleep Apnea Article
- Sleep apnea facts
- What is sleep apnea?
- What are the types of sleep apnea?
- What is central sleep apnea and what causes it?
- What is obstructive sleep apnea and what causes it?
- How common is obstructive sleep apnea?
- What are obstructive sleep apnea symptoms?
- What are some of the complications of sleep apnea?
- How is obstructive sleep apnea diagnosed and evaluated?
- What are the nonsurgical treatments for obstructive sleep apnea?
- What are the surgical treatments for obstructive sleep apnea?
- Why is it important to treat obstructive sleep apnea?
In This ArticleSleep Related Breathing Disorders Article
- What are sleep related breathing disorders?
- Why do we sleep?
- What are the stages of sleep?
In This ArticleTonsillitis Article
- Tonsillitis and adenoids infection facts
- What are the tonsils and adenoids?
- What is the purpose of the tonsils and adenoids?
- What are the symptoms of tonsillitis or an adenoid infection?
- Is tonsillitis contagious?
- What are common problems affecting the tonsils and adenoids?
- How are tonsillitis and adenoid infection diagnosed?
- How is tonsillitis and adenoid infection treated?
- When should the tonsils and/or adenoids be removed?
Other Causes of Snoring
- Anatomical Variations (Elongated Soft Palate or Uvula)
- Nasal Polyps
- Sleeping Position
- Trauma or Scarring of Air Passages
- Viral Infection With Nasal Congestion
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Find out what women really need.