"Repeated subcutaneous injections of botulinum toxin A (Botox, Allergan) provides analgesic relief to patients with neuropathic pain, a new randomized controlled trial has shown.
The study showed that two series of injections "...
Patients should be advised to contact their health care provider if they experience any adverse reactions to Soma Compound (carisoprodol and aspirin) .
- Patients should be advised that carisoprodol may cause drowsiness and/or dizziness, and has been associated with motor vehicle accidents. Patients should be advised to avoid taking carisoprodol before engaging in potentially hazardous activities such as driving a motor vehicle or operating machinery (see WARNINGS, Sedation).
- Patients should be advised to avoid alcoholic beverages while taking carisoprodol and to check with their doctor before taking other CNS depressants such as benzodiazepines, opioids, tricyclic antidepressants, sedating antihistamines, or other sedatives (see WARNINGS, Sedation).
- Patients should be advised that treatment with carisoprodol should be limited to acute use (up to two or three weeks) for the relief of acute, musculoskeletal discomfort. In the post-marketing experience with carisoprodol, cases of dependence, withdrawal, and abuse have been reported with prolonged use. If the musculoskeletal symptoms still persist, patients should contact their healthcare provider for further evaluation.
- Patients should be warned that aspirin can cause epigastric discomfort, gastric and duodenal ulcers, and serious GI adverse reactions, such as bleeding, perforation, and/or obstruction of the stomach or intestines, which may result in hospitalization and death. Although serious GI bleeding can occur without warning symptoms (e.g., hematemesis, melena, hematochezia), patients should be alert for these symptoms and should seek urgent medical care if any of these indicative symptoms occur (see WARNINGS, Serious Gastrointestinal Adverse Reactions). In addition, patients should be alert for symptoms of ulcers (e.g., night time epigastric discomfort, vomiting, weight loss) and should seek medical attention if these symptoms occur. Patients who consume three or more alcoholic drinks every day should be counseled about the GI bleeding risks involved with the use of aspirin with alcohol.
- Patients should be informed of the symptoms of an anaphylactoid reaction or anaphylaxis (e.g., hives, difficulty breathing, swelling of the face or throat). If these symptoms occur, patients should be instructed to seek immediate emergency help.
Last reviewed on RxList: 12/9/2009
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Soma Compound Information
Sodium Lactate - User Reviews
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Chronic Pain/Back Pain
Find tips and advances in treatment.