Soma Compound with Codeine
"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Hysingla ER (hydrocodone bitartrate), an extended-release (ER) opioid analgesic to treat pain severe enough to require daily, around-the-clock, long-term opioid treatment and for which alternat"...
Soma Compound with Codeine
SOMA® COMPOUND with CODEINE
(carisoprodol, aspirin and codeine phosphate, USP) Tablets for Oral Use
WARNING: May be habit-forming.
Soma Compound with Codeine (carisoprodol, aspirin, and codeine phosphate tablets) (carisoprodol, aspirin, and codeine phosphate tablets, USP) is a fixed-dose combination product containing the following three products:
- 200 mg of carisoprodol, a centrally-acting muscle relaxant
- 325 mg of aspirin, an analgesic with antipyretic and anti-inflammatory properties
- 16 mg of codeine phosphate, a centrally-acting narcotic analgesic.
It is available as a two-layered, white and yellow, oval-shaped tablet for oral administration.
Carisoprodol: Chemically, carisoprodol is N-isopropyl-2-methyl-2-propyl-1,3propanediol dicarbamate and its molecular formula is C12H24N2O4, with a molecular weight of 260.33. The structural formula of carisoprodol is:
Aspirin: Chemically, aspirin (acetylsalicyclic acid) is 2-(acetyloxy)-, benzoic acid and its molecular formula is C9H8O4, with a molecular weight of 180.16. The structural formula of aspirin is:
Codeine Phosphate: Chemically, codeine phosphate is 7,8-Didehydro-4,5α-epoxy-3methoxy-17-methylmorphinan-6α-ol phosphate (1:1) (salt) hemihydrate and its molecular formula is C18H24NO7P, with a molecular weight of 406.37. The structural formula of codeine phosphate is:
Other ingredients in the Soma Compound with Codeine (carisoprodol, aspirin, and codeine phosphate tablets) drug product are croscarmellose sodium, D&C Yellow #10, hypromellose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, povidine, sodium metabisulfite, starch, and stearic acid.
What are the possible side effects of aspirin, carisoprodol, and codeine (Soma Compound with Codeine)?
Stop using this medicine and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- runny nose, wheezing, trouble breathing;
- easy bruising or bleeding;
- bleeding from your rectum or blood in your stools, vomiting, weight loss, night-time stomach pain;
- coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds;
- ringing in your...
What are the precautions when taking carisoprodol, aspirin, and codeine (Soma Compound with Codeine)?
Before taking this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to codeine, carisoprodol, or aspirin; or to related medications such as meprobamate, tybamate, or mebutamate; or to other narcotic pain medications (such as morphine); or to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs-NSAIDs (such as ibuprofen); or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: asthma (including a history of worsening breathing with runny/stuffy nose after taking aspirin or other NSAIDs), growths in the nose (nasal polyps), stomach/intestine/esophagus problems (such...
Last reviewed on RxList: 12/4/2009
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Soma Compound with Codeine Information
- Soma Compound with Codeine Drug Interactions Center: carisoprodol-asa-codeine oral
- Soma Compound with Codeine Side Effects Center
- Soma Compound with Codeine in detail including Side Effects and Drug Images
- Soma Compound with Codeine Overview including Precautions
- Soma Compound with Codeine FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Soma Compound - User Reviews
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Chronic Pain/Back Pain
Find tips and advances in treatment.